On a Chromebook I can't type anything when starting a new document

wbrells

On a Chromebook I can't type anything when starting a new document

Post by wbrells »

Folks,

I've recently started using a Chromebook and have found it VERY useful to have FreeOffice installed as a Linux app. With the latest version of Chrome OS it is possible to directly access/edit both local files (My files) and files on Google Drive. The only strange behavior is the inability to type anything when starting a NEW document! If I open an existing document, all is well: I can edit and then save it under the same name or under a new name. However, if I just bring up TextMaker to start a new document, I'm unable to type anything - hitting keys on the keyboard does nothing....

This is not a show-stopper since I can just bring up a "dummy" blank file before starting to compose a new file, but I really wonder what can be causing this strange problem...

Wayne
wbrells

Re: On a Chromebook I can't type anything when starting a new document

Post by wbrells »

Folks,

I'm not sure what was causing this problem but it appears to have been "fixed" by:

1) Bringing up TextMaker
2) Going to Home > Character > Font
3) Changing the Font to something else
4) Clicking on Set as default...
5) Choosing the Change for all new documents ... option
6) Clicking on OK

These steps are updating the Normal template, so perhaps the original template had been corrupted in some way...

In any case, I can bring up a new document and start typing without any problem!

Wayne
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: On a Chromebook I can't type anything when starting a new document

Post by martin-k »

The reason: You once changed the default formatting and activated the "Protected" formatting in the Character dialog. This made the text write-protected.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “FreeOffice TextMaker 2021 for Linux”