"SoftMaker" folder in the "home" directory !!!

General questions and answers about FreeOffice 2021 for Linux. Don't post application-specific questions here, but in the appropriate subforum.
tobias24782

"SoftMaker" folder in the "home" directory !!!

Post by tobias24782 »

First I'd like to say, that I was completely blown away about how well PlanMaker worked. In fact I (almost) prefer it to MS Office b/c it is so fast and has a great no-nonsense feel about it.

Two things are problematic though, the first one is huge:

1. as mentioned before (in 2020) there is a "~/SoftMaker" folder. This is absolutely impossible, I cannot recommend SoftMaker to other people if the app pollutes their home directory. It's such a fundamental violation of their expectation. Please fix this, it's really important (imo)

2. currently I run the (free) FreeOffice version. As there is a registration/email required I'd propose to mention this requirement already on the FreeOffice website. It feels strange to get the free/gratis app and then after a month be "forced" to provide an email. It's a great app, thus just tell the condition(s). -- Most probably I'll upgrade to the paid version later (I pay for MS Office on Mac and Win and thus should also pay for your product, many thanks for supporting Linux!!!)
Volker Neurath

Re: "SoftMaker" folder in the "home" directory !!!

Post by Volker Neurath »

tobias24782 wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:43 pm First I'd like to say, that I was completely blown away about how well PlanMaker worked. In fact I (almost) prefer it to MS Office b/c it is so fast and has a great no-nonsense feel about it.

Two things are problematic though, the first one is huge:

1. as mentioned before (in 2020) there is a "~/SoftMaker" folder. This is absolutely impossible, I cannot recommend SoftMaker to other people if the app pollutes their home directory. It's such a fundamental violation of their expectation. Please fix this, it's really important (imo)
If you do not like this pls make a proposal where Softmaker Office should keep (personal) settings and (personal) templates.
Even in the windows Version there is a folder /Softmaker in ../Users/<Username>/..

Return to “FreeOffice 2021 for Linux (General)”