Changelog?

General questions and answers about FreeOffice 2021 for Linux. Don't post application-specific questions here, but in the appropriate subforum.
ricky_f

Changelog?

Post by ricky_f »

Is there a changelog as to what has changed between FO2018 and FO2021? (I am not after a comparison between paid and free, rather I'd like to know whether an upgrade does make sense... there are quite a few free apps which after an "upgrade" were actually less powerful than before :-/ Not that I am saying that FO falls into that category, I simply don't know. EDIT: It does... see post #3.)

And while I am at it, a unrelated question re the new Android versions... when I go to the Google PS I see that the apps all offer "in-app purchases". I thought they are free, so what does that mean?
Last edited by ricky_f on Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ricky_f

Re: Changelog?

Post by ricky_f »

Partly answering my own questions, it seems the Android apps (though free) need an in-app payment to print stuff and perhaps for other things as well. That's fine by me but I still think it's strange that an app that's touted as "FREE" in the end is not necessarily free. But that's probably just me. I am easily :?

As to the changes between versions, so long as I do not see a compelling reason to upgrade I won't.
Last edited by ricky_f on Wed Dec 01, 2021 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ricky_f

Post by ricky_f »

For those who are interested in this, here's one pretty significant difference I've just discovered: the older version of TextMaker (2018) can save a file as an ePub whereas the 2021 version can't. That's precisely the sort of thing I meant in my OP.

And there may be other similar oopsies :cry:

So with no information from Softmaker forthcoming, I will definitely stick with the old version.

EDIT: I have been using SM FreeOffice for a number of years now and have even recommended it to various people and I am grateful that SM lets us have such a high-quality product for free. However, this sort of thing somewhat undermines my confidence in the company. Just sayin'.
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

No, there is no changelog.

Yes, EPUB has been removed, and this is the only function we have removed.

Yes, the Android version is completely free, except for tracked changes, printing and PDF creation. The text in Google Play is very clear about this, and if you look at the rating of the apps, customers are overwhelmingly happy with it.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “FreeOffice 2021 for Linux (General)”