Removing Chapters From Document

jerlin

Removing Chapters From Document

Post by jerlin »

Someone sent me a document they had created, probably in Word. I am using TextMaker. I have revised the original document in TextMaker, but now I am having difficulty with the page numbering. It seems to be affected by "chapters" that have been inserted into the document. I do not need chapters in the document and therefore want to get rid of them. Is there a way to remove chapters?
Woody44

Re: Removing Chapters From Document

Post by Woody44 »

Turn on Reveal Codes (the backwards 'P' paragraph symbol in the menu bar). Scroll though the document until you see

--------------------Chapter break --------------------------

Place the cursor at the left end of the dashed line, and press DELETE
jerlin

Post by jerlin »

Thank you for the reply, Woody44. I tried removing chapters from the document, but that did not work to correct the page numbering issue. I assumed, incorrectly, that the page numbering issue was related to the chapter numbering. Here is what is going on with the page numbering. The first page is Page 1 of 40. The second page is Page 2 of 40. The numbering continues like this until Page 5. All page numbering after Page 5 is affected by any change that is made to the 5 in Page 5 of 40. In other words, what should be Page 6 of 40 is displayed as Page 5 of 40. What should be Page 7 of 40 is displayed as Page 5 of 40 and so on with the following pages. If I change the 5 to a 6, all pages from actual Page 5 become Page 6 of 40. I hope I am making myself clear. How can I correct the page numbering so it is correct throughout the document?
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

Go to page 5. Highlight the page number, then right click on it.

You should see a pop-up dialogue box with a list of things you can modify; toward the bottom of the list is an entry for "Edit field." Click that.

That will open up another dialogue box, with a bunch of things you can change about the page number. First, be sure it's set for "Page number." Then click the box on the right for "Settings." This is where you can reset the page numbering.

The page number is a field. What seems to have happened is that at page 5 the field has been replaced with the character '5'. You need to reset it to the page number field.
jerlin

Post by jerlin »

Thank you again, Woody44, for coming to my aid. Your advice worked.

Return to “FreeOffice TextMaker 2021 for Windows”