Feature questions

Woody44

Feature questions

Post by Woody44 »

I am writing a book on using FreeOffice TextMakeras a single-source software tool for self-publishing books. I have two questions:

1. I have the perpetual license version of SoftMaker Office 2021 installed on my computer. Can I install FreeOffice beside it, or will that cause a conflict?

2. FreeOffice offers a single sidebar. What can and what cannot be done with the sidebar in FreeOffice compared to SoftMaker Office TextMaker?

Thanks
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Feature questions

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for your post. SoftMaker Office 2021 is the commercial version with more advanced features than FreeOffice.

So, as you already have SoftMaker Office 2021, please install and use it. There is no need to install FreeOffice, once you have SoftMaker Office 2021.

But if you still want it, no, you can't install FreeOffice 2021 with SoftMaker Office 2021.

For more details on FreeOffice like sidebar etc., please refer to the user manual.
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

I know exactly what SoftMaker Office and FreeOffice are, and their relationship. However, as I wrote, the book I am writing is about FreeOffice, not SoftMaker Office. Therefore, I obviously DO "need" FreeOffice, in order to properly address only features available in FreeOffice.

I have discovered that, although I have SoftMaker Office 2021 installed on this computer, I still have FreeOffice 2018 installed on my spare computer. It's in another room so it's not convenient, but it is workable for this purpose.
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi »

Did you try to make a portable version of FreeOffice from your spare computer to a USB Stick? Just install the latest version of FreeOffice on your spare computer, follow the instruction here, then insert the USB stick into your first computer and start FreeOffice from the stick. This should work, as a portable installation doesn't interfere at all with an ordinary installation on your computer.
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

Jossi wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:37 am Did you try to make a portable version of FreeOffice from your spare computer to a USB Stick? Just install the latest version of FreeOffice on your spare computer, follow the instruction here, then insert the USB stick into your first computer and start FreeOffice from the stick. This should work, as a portable installation doesn't interfere at all with an ordinary installation on your computer.
:doh!: Where is that :banghead: glyph when you need it?

I didn't even think of that -- and I have a USB stick with FreeOffice on it sitting right in front of me on the base of my monitor! #-o

FYI, the book has been completed, and it is now on sale at Amazon and on the Kobo web site. E-book version only, I don't think I'll do a printed version.
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi »

LOL. How well I know this feeling – to have overlooked an obvious solution which was right before my eyes all the time... Anyway, I'm happy that everything is fine now. 8)
luminary

Post by luminary »

Jossi wrote: Wed Jun 21, 2023 11:37 am Did you try to make a portable version of FreeOffice from your spare computer to a USB Stick? Just install the latest version of FreeOffice on your spare computer, follow the instruction here, then insert the USB stick into your first computer and start FreeOffice from the stick. This should work, as a portable installation doesn't interfere at all with an ordinary installation on your computer.
Thanks for the information!
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

If anyone is interested, I have completed the book and published it through Amazon. It is available as a paperback and as a Kindle edition. I checked with the moderators of this site, and they told me that I am allowed to post links to the book.

Paperback: https://www.amazon.com/Self-Publish-You ... _sidesheet

Kindle: https://www.amazon.com/Self-Publish-You ... 8&qid=&sr=

Disclaimer: The book also mentions another free office suite, but the book is primarily written around using FreeOffice to self-publish books.

Return to “FreeOffice TextMaker 2021 for Windows”