Moving word(s) causes issues

CapnCrunch

Moving word(s) causes issues

Post by CapnCrunch »

When I select one or more words in a paragraph and move it to a different position, the place where I am moving it to does not automatically adjust the spacing around the word and in the place where it/they used to be it leaves behind two spaces which are hard to notice, that need to manually edited down to one. MS Word adjusts the spacing automatically, both at the new and at the old position. Clearly this is not a very efficient way of doing things and it affects productivity
I also noticed that, when I reduce the height of an empty line, let's say from 12 pt to 5 pt, nothing happens. I actually have to insert a space on that line before the line height actually changes size. This too deviates from the behaviour of Word and is very counterintuitive.
Can these issues be put on a suggestion list and be resolved with an upcoming update?
It would be a great help. Thanks
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Re: Moving word(s) causes issues

Post by Jossi »

ad 1: Go to Tools > Options > Edit (with classic menus) or File > Options > General (with ribbons) respectively and check "Add or remove spaces when pasting".
ad 2: How do you proceed to change the height of an empty line? If you set the cursor in the line, then go to Format > Paragraph... (classic menus) or Home > Group "Paragraph" > Set Line spacing (ribbons) and set "Line Spacing" to "Exactly" and the height you want, this should work.
CapnCrunch

Post by CapnCrunch »

Hi Jossi, thanks for the reference to setting it in tools. However, there seems to still be one problem.
When I move a word by itself it correctly adjusts the spacing in its new position. However, when I right away move the newly moved word to a different position again, the spaces that used to be on each side of it now disappear and the words to the left and right of where it used to be are now merged into a single word, no longer separated by a space.
That space has to be put back in manually. One would expect that removal of a word would leave at least one space between the previous and following word.
It is highly likely that you can reproduce this behaviour.
Please advise. Thanks
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi »

Yes, I can reproduce this issue. When I select a word by double-clicking it, then move it to a different position with the mouse, everything is ok. When I move the same word again with the mouse, the blank space between the adjacent words disappears. (This happens also in the full version of TextMaker.) If I use Ctrl+X and Ctrl+P instead, there are no problems. This is clearly a bug and SoftMaker should have a look at it.
CapnCrunch

Post by CapnCrunch »

Thanks Jossi. I expect that you will be forwarding this bug to them? If not, let me know how to do that so it can be corrected.
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi »

The SoftMaker support team monitors this forum, so no special action is needed. I am confident the developers will fix the bug in due course.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

CapnCrunch wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:24 am However, when I right away move the newly moved word to a different position again, the spaces that used to be on each side of it now disappear and the words to the left and right of where it used to be are now merged into a single word, no longer separated by a space.
Thanks for your post. This is happening because when you moved that word the first time, the new selection includes newly added spaces also before and after on new position. So, please select that word again by double click before second move, and you will not face this problem.

Return to “FreeOffice TextMaker 2021 for Windows”