Combining acute accents on Cyrillic not displayed correctly

l0rents

Combining acute accents on Cyrillic not displayed correctly

Post by l0rents »

Hello, I have a very specific need. Namely, I have to deal with texts in the Cyrillic alphabet (Russian and Ukrainian) which have stress marks ("accents") on vowels. Specifically, stressmarks are obtained using the "COMBINING ACUTE ACCENT" Unicode character. Using Microsoft Word (part of Office 365, v 2207) and the "Cambria" font all stressmarks are produced correctly (see attached pictures): the are situated right above the letter and exactly in the middle position.

Using TextMaker 2021, unfortunately, there are the following problems (see picture):
1. For lowercase letters, stressmarks are almost okay but too much to the right (not horizontally centered)
2. For uppercase letters, stressmarks are all wrong.

I also include results for LibreOffice Writer 5. It renders stressmarks almost in the same way as TextMaker (ie incorrectly).

I understand that this problem is font-specific, and most fonts do not manage unifying diacritics very well. However using word I could identify several fonts which produce more-or-less satisfactory results (Cambria, Constantia, Calibri...) while with TextMaker all fonts I considered give bad results, especially for uppercase letters.

It would be fantastic if you could look into this or, perhaps, suggest a font which produces acceptable results with TextMaker.
Attachments
russian-ukrainian-accented-letters.png
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Combining acute accents on Cyrillic not displayed correctly

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for reporting this problem. I have forwarded the details to our developer team for further diagnosis.

Return to “FreeOffice TextMaker 2021 for Windows”