Getting rid of blank space between pages? And saving zoom?

emkaysmith

Getting rid of blank space between pages? And saving zoom?

Post by emkaysmith »

I spend most of my waking hours writing, and I've spent the past 6 months searching for the best free alternative to MS Word. I've been semi-happy with LibreOffice Writer, but there are still a few things about it I just don't like. Lately, I've been playing around with TextMaker, and I I generally like the feel of it -- but there a couple of things I can't figure out.

1. I get annoyed by the blank space between the end of one page and the beginning of the next page. It just gets in my way visually when I've pounding away at something. In Word, you just double-click it and it disappears. You can also set that view to be your universal default. With Libre, you can also double-click it -- but there's no default option. In TextMaker, I can't find a way to do EITHER of those things. Clicking "Continuous" under "Views" takes away EVERYTHING that isn't text, and I find it impossible to work with a solid wall-to-wall block of text like that. I've gone through all the menus and the user manual. Any suggestions?

2. I'm getting old and I have macular degeneration, so I need everything on my screen to be larger than most people would find comfortable. Even with my large monitor, I crank things up to around 150% of standard text size. And, of course, I can do that easily enough with the Zoom function. But I can't find a way to SAVE that level of zoom with the document after I set it. I have to reset it every time I open a document, which is annoying. In Word, again, I could set 150% as my universal default for all documents, both old ones and newly crated ones. In Libre, you can't set it as your default but at least you can save that zoom number as part of each document after you've once set it. I can live with that, since I tend to be working on the same few manuscripts for weeks at a time. Is there not any way to make a selected zoom a permanent part of a document in TextMaker?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Mike
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Getting rid of blank space between pages? And saving zoom?

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for sharing your concerns. You currently cannot remove the vertical space between the pages, but I made a feature suggestion to the developers.

Yes, TextMaker saves zoom level at document level as it's document's properties. You can open any document, set its zoom level, save and re-open it to test.
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Re: Getting rid of blank space between pages? And saving zoom?

Post by Jossi »

If you want all new documents to open in 150%, open the "Normal" document template (choose "Templates (*tmvx, *tmv)" as file type in the "Open" dialog and then Normal.tmvx), set zoom to 150% and save the template again.

Return to “FreeOffice TextMaker 2021 for Windows”