Failed installation when Documents folder on Google Drive [SOLVED]

General questions and answers about FreeOffice 2021 for Windows. Don't post application-specific questions here, but in the appropriate subforum.
paul.newton

Failed installation when Documents folder on Google Drive [SOLVED]

Post by paul.newton »

I am posting this in case it might be helpful to others. The attached document contains five screenshots showing the sequence of events as I tried to install FreeOffice on my new Windows 11 Pro machine (and this is NOT a Windows 11 problem).

The first issue I encountered was a reference to an invalid drive G: (Figure 1). Clicking on OK resulted in the installation ending prematurely (Figure 2). My first thought was that drive G: used to be my Google Drive until I changed it to drive P: Sure enough, searching the registry turned up some references to G:\My Drive\Documents (Figures 4 and 5). I edited these values so that they reflected the new drive letter P.

I then started the installation again, thinking that everything would now be fine. Towards the end of the installation a problem arose due to "insufficient privileges" on Drive P. The installation then terminated.

I then attempted to run FreeOffice2021.MSI as administrator - PowerShell (Admin) or Terminal (Admin). I still encountered the "insufficient privileges" problem. What to do next?

First of all, quit Google Drive which means drive P is no longer present. Then create a local folder C:\Temp\My Drive\Documents and use the following
in a normal (non-Admin) Terminal window
SUBST P: C:\Temp\

Ran the installation successfully! Then cleaned up (SUBST P: /D) and reinstated Google Drive.

When I ran TextMaker for the first time, it successfully created P:\My Drive\Documents\SoftMaker and sub-folders.

If you find this useful, or think others may find it useful, I would be grateful if you commented accordingly. Many thanks.
Attachments
FreeOffice installation issue.docx
(157.16 KiB) Downloaded 128 times
Woody44

Re: Failed installation when Documents folder on Google Drive [SOLVED]

Post by Woody44 »

Are you reporting on SoftMaker Office 2021, or on FreeOffice?
paul.newton

Post by paul.newton »

Which Forum are we in? That should answer your question and explain why I didn't specifically mention the product version in my post ...
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for your post but it was in the wrong forum of SoftMaker Office for Windows which I moved here as this is the right place.
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

paul.newton wrote: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:36 pm Which Forum are we in? That should answer your question and explain why I didn't specifically mention the product version in my post ...
Actually, in the middle of your post you did mention FreeOffice, but you posted the question in the SoftMaker Office 2021 discussion area -- hence my question. We are now in the FreeOffice 2021 discussion area, because a staff person moved the discussion thread, but that is not where we were when I asked my question.

Thanks for the tip. It appears the increasing use of cloud services for primary storage is resulting in myriad unanticipated issues.

Return to “FreeOffice 2021 for Windows (General)”