Bak file

General questions and answers about FreeOffice 2021 for Windows. Don't post application-specific questions here, but in the appropriate subforum.
beethoven

Bak file

Post by beethoven »

Since installing softmaker 2021 and using mainly planmaker I noticed many of my files are creating bak files. While I had seen this before very rarely, it usually happened when a program was not shut down properly. I googled and it seems that many different programs can create these files. However I wonder why since using planmaker I get them constantly. Is there a default setting that creates these bak files and if so, for what purpose. If there is a normal setting to save the file you are working on, I would assume this saves just to the same extension as the open file.
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Re: Bak file

Post by Jossi »

Please have a look at Tools > Options, tab "Backup". There you can disable backups completely (uncheck "Keep older versions of the document") and delete backup files already made ("Clean up").

Edit: Sorry, I overlooked that you are using FreeOffice. My first answer referred to the commercial version.
Last edited by Jossi on Wed Jun 01, 2022 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

If you see .bak files, you are not using SoftMaker Office, but FreeOffice.

This is not a bug, but a security measure to help you not lose documents.

FreeOffice has a simple backup function with a single .bak file per document in the same folder, whereas SoftMaker Office has an advanced backup feature with multiple generations of backup files created in a separate backup folder.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
beethoven

Post by beethoven »

thank you guys, you are quite correct I am using the free version, did not realise that this was different with respect to the bak file.

As for the bak file, can you please clarify when or under what conditions the bak file is being created. Coming from Excel I am used to pressing the save button when I feel I have created some changes that I would rather keep but don't close the file yet. I am doing normal backups with backup programs, so I am not sure under what circumstances these bak files will be useful. If I needed them, I suppose I would open them via planmaker?
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Our Help/User manual (you can find these by clicking on '?') can answer this for you:

Simple backup

This makes one backup per document. It contains the previous version of the document. It has the name extension .bak and is in the same folder as the document itself.
beethoven

Post by beethoven »

Supertech,
thank you and I have read this carefully now. I am still a bit unclear as to the difference between clicking the save button in the ribbon while working on a document, relying on the setting Auto Recovery : save state every X minutes and the bak file?
It seems to me that in the paid version multiple bak files can be saved and you can go back some revisions. In the free version only one bak file will be kept in the same folder. However are these bak files generated based on either the functions described above or automatically.

What I wish to achieve is to work on my spreadsheet and I don't mind if changes to my work are automatically saved every 10 minutes. If I complete some steps and want to save that part, I click the save symbol on the ribbon but I don't really need versions of the file I am working on. I do require backups but do this separately with other programs. If I turn off backup under settings so that the bak file is not being created, does any of the other
save commands still work or is the work only saved when I close the file? I do not want to work on a document for hours, clicking the save button several times during this process thinking everything is saved, only to find out later that this is a misunderstanding and those "saves" would only have
been saved to a bak file that I suppress.
stascheit

Post by stascheit »

The bak files are only generated by PlanMaker, when the option "Simple backup" is enabled. Set this option to "No backups", thereupon no more .bak file will be created by PlanMaker.
Of course, you can save your work steps manually with the "Save" button at every time, so that you do not lose your current work.

The option "Auto Recovery: Save state every X minutes" is totally independent of the backup option described above. It's a temporary backup copy with the following sense:
When you exit PlanMaker in the normal manner, these temporary backup copies are automatically deleted. However, if PlanMaker is abruptly shut down by a power failure, for example, while you are working on open documents, these copies become available when the program is restarted. PlanMaker recognizes that there has been a failure and offers to open the automatic backup copies of all documents that had been modified but not saved just prior to the failure.
beethoven

Post by beethoven »

excellent - thank you for that clarification =D>

Return to “FreeOffice 2021 for Windows (General)”