FreeOffice 2021 Windows Portable Version License Crash

General questions and answers about FreeOffice 2021 for Windows. Don't post application-specific questions here, but in the appropriate subforum.
Mexirony

FreeOffice 2021 Windows Portable Version License Crash

Post by Mexirony »

I have Windows 10 in my computer and use FreeOffice 2021 Portable version on it with no previous FreeOffice 2021 formal installation. In other words, exclusively the FreeOffice 2021 Portable version hovering the RAM at a single time. When I try to save a document for the third or fourth time, either with PlanMaker, Presentations or TextMaker, I got the following error: "Something went wrong. Please make sure you use a genuine version. Do you want to quit the application?" [a pirate skull icon on the left]. From there, I have not choice but aborting the session and restart. If I install FreeOffice 2021 in my computer along with the portable version, then the error disappears immediately while running FreeOffice 2021 Portable version. It seems that there's some kind of license files that don't come along inside the FreeOffice 2021 Portable folder when created with the tool on the USB flash drive. I tried both scenarios: (a) through my computer c:/ disk drive, (b) through a memory flashdrive. The outcome is the same, no matter what. Any help would be very much appreciated.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: FreeOffice 2021 Windows Portable Version License Crash

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for reporting this problem. Please share a screenshot of the error, and also, please make sure that you have downloaded FreeOffice 2021 only and only from our official website for FreeOffice.
Mexirony

Post by Mexirony »

Thanks for the quick reply, SuperTech. Please, see attached screenshot of what I'm describing in my previous post. Again, this only happens if the FreeOffice 2021 Portable version is running on a computer that does not have any FreeOffice 2021 pre-installed on it. In other words, only if the FreeOffice 2021 Portable version is hovering alone in the system. Rather, if FreeOffice 2021 is previously installed and at the same time — on the same computer — I run FreeOffice 2021 Portable, the error never appears. I made sure all my Windows services were up and running. The error appears a minute or two after starting a new session. It only happens when I try to save the file. If I don't ask for the 'Save' or 'Save As...' options, the error doesn't pop up and the software appears to work normally. However, the moment I intend to save — anytime, just save — the common dialog (see picture) pops up again and no longer lets me save my progress in any way, shape, or form. Basically, you are doomed from that point on. You can press the 'Cancel' button and go back to whatever you left but you never have the possibility of saving anything; so whatever you advances will be condemned to be lost. This occurs more commonly with Presentations compared to TestMaker or PlanMaker. My FreeOffice 2021 was downloaded directly from the official website https://www.freeoffice.com/en/ while the FreeOffice 2021 Portable version was mounted with the corresponding tool 'Install SoftMaker FreeOffice 2021 on a USB stick' located at "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\SoftMaker FreeOffice 2021\Utilities\Install SoftMaker FreeOffice 2021 on a USB stick.lnk". It's as if a type of watchdog behind the scenes was auditing the portable version and when it doesn't find a carry-over license on the portable version, then locks the 'save/save as' options for good. Kind Regards, Antonio
Attachments
Security.png
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

A wild guess: Have you compressed the EXE to save space on the USB drive? Don't do this, this invalidates the digital signature of the executable.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
Mexirony

Post by Mexirony »

Hello, martin-k, and thanks for your reply and suggestion. No, I haven't compressed any file whatsoever while creating the FreeOffice 2021 Portable version. This is the link of my faulty version if you want to try it yourselves:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eXm-5S ... sp=sharing

Again, in order to trigger the error you should run this portable version in a computer with no FreeOffice 2021 installed on it.
Any help will be very much appreciated.
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

We have identified a problem that could cause this, but only in FreeOffice Presentations.

Can you verify that this really happens to you in TextMaker and PlanMaker as well?
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
Mexirony

Post by Mexirony »

Thanks for the quick reply, martin-k. Yes, confirming that only happens now on Presentations, not in TextMaker nor in PlanMaker. If you use the 2018 version you get that error all across the board. For this ultimate 2021 version the error is consistent only in Presentations. It's as if some type of license registry definition was not incorporated as a standalone resource in the portable version of FreeOffice 2021.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for confirmation. We have forwarded the details of this problem to our developer team for further diagnosis.
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

This will be solved in the nex revision of FreeOffice.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “FreeOffice 2021 for Windows (General)”