Open and save to Google Drive

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker Office 2021 for Android that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.
cdysthe

Open and save to Google Drive

Post by cdysthe »

Hi,

Is it, or will it be, possible to open from and save to Google Drive? I have several apps that does that like my file manager and text editor. I am running Softmaker Pro on my computer and all files are synced with Google Drive so having that option on Android is very important to me.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Open and save to Google Drive

Post by SuperTech »

Google Drive is already support by SoftMaker Office 2021 for Android. To open the file from Google Drive, please click on ribbon command File | Open | Select Google Drive | Login to your account and access your file. Same way, you can save your file.
razazaidi1

Post by razazaidi1 »

There is definitely an issue to save on Google Drive. I had written about this while Beta testing but since no one listened I stopped complaining

You can open a file saved on Google Drive. But if you make a change to the file and save it again to its original location it does not overwrite the original file and any edits you have made to your document are lost.

If you create a new file in PlanMaker and save it to Google Drive it gets saved successfully. But now reopen it, make an edit and overwrite the original. It does not overwrite and changes are lost.

The above problem is true for 3 softmaker applications.

There is a Workaround to this problem :-

Navigate to Tools / Options / Files and under Backup select Simple Backup from the Dropdown list

Now everything will work okay including original file saves as well as Resave after editing

This for me is not a preferred solution as it unnecessarily doubles the number of files as for each file you are creating a "*.BAK" file.

I think the confusion that some people say that saving to Google Drive works while some say that it does not work is because if you have enabled *.bak files it will work for you but if you have selected "No Backup" it will not work
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for reporting this problem. I have forwarded the details to our developers team for further investigation.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Our developer team has fixed this problem and the solution will be included in the next update of SoftMaker Office 2021 for Android.
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

The latest revision 1037 of TextMaker, PlanMaker and Presentations for Android optionally lets you use Android's system file dialog instead of the internal file dialog. This should allow you to access all cloud storage providers, as long as the corresponding app from the respective cloud provider is installed.

You turn this feature on via the "Appearance" tab in the Options dialog, checkbox "Use system file dialog".

Since this feature is still experimental, we welcome your feedback.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2021 for Android (General)”