Google Drive

vikingson

Google Drive

Post by vikingson » Sun Jan 10, 2021 7:12 pm

I'm having an issue with Google Drive. If I open a docx file using Text maker and edit it, Drive creates a new instance of the file and saves as a different file. If I edit that file with Textmaker, same thing, another new file. How can I edit files on Google Drive with Textmaker of the original file without it creating a new instance every time? Is this something I must change in Textmaker? File save location or something?
Thanks.
Edit: it looks like you can continue to edit the new instance of the file on the Android device that you used the first time by opening it in the recently opened tabs at startup of Textmaker. But if you try to edit that same file on Google Drive with Textmaker on a different Android device, you are out of luck. Google Drive always opens a new instance of a file (untitled) when you open a Docx file in Textmaker. I hope there is some way to open a file in Google Drive at any time and on any Android device using Textmaker that will save changes to that file without it creating a new file each time.

SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Google Drive

Post by SuperTech » Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:31 pm

Thanks for reporting this problem. I have forwarded the details to our development team.

Currently, instead of opening the file directly from Google Drive you can save the file in local storage, edit it and then upload. This is just a workaround.

vikingson

Post by vikingson » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:00 pm

I'm wondering if it works better using Dropbox?

SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech » Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:13 pm

Please click on ribbon command File | Open | Select Google Drive or Dropbox | Open your file > Make changes and save it without any problem directly on cloud.

vikingson

Post by vikingson » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:24 pm

SuperTech wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:13 pm
Please click on ribbon command File | Open | Select Google Drive or Dropbox | Open your file > Make changes and save it without any problem directly on cloud.
That works! Thank you very much!

razazaidi1

Post by razazaidi1 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:19 pm

No unfortunately does not work for me with Google Drive

I open file using File / Open and then navigating to the file in Google Drive

Make changes and save on Google Drive using File / Save As

It asks to replace the file and then appears to be saving to Google Drive

I then Close PlanMaker and then again open PlanMaker and the same file but the Changes are not there. Even the time and date stamp of the file in Google Drive has not changed meaning the file was not actually saved

In the other hand the above procedure works okay in Dropbox

SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech » Mon Jan 18, 2021 2:29 pm

razazaidi1 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 1:19 pm
Make changes and save on Google Drive using File / Save As
Why you used Save As instead of Save? Normally when you make changes in any file and want to save them in the same file, you simply hit the Save button. Save As is if you want to save the changes with different file name or file type etc.

razazaidi1

Post by razazaidi1 » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:47 pm

Okay as advised by you tried saving file to Google Drive by hitting "Save" button only (Not Save As) but still does not save changes

With Dropbox all okay but with Google Drive this issue. Also this issue is there both for my Samsung Galaxy Note 20 ULTRA as well as Samsung Tablet S7

vikingson

Post by vikingson » Tue Jan 19, 2021 12:19 am

razazaidi1 wrote:
Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:47 pm
Okay as advised by you tried saving file to Google Drive by hitting "Save" button only (Not Save As) but still does not save changes

With Dropbox all okay but with Google Drive this issue. Also this issue is there both for my Samsung Galaxy Note 20 ULTRA as well as Samsung Tablet S7
I just checked again and it is still working for me in Textmaker. Saves for docx files. If you open a file in Google Docs format it does of course save a new instance.

razazaidi1

Post by razazaidi1 » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:09 pm

Just wanted to know if no one else is facing this issue.

Still cannot save changes to a Textmaker or PlanMaker file to Google Drive.

nccwxx

Post by nccwxx » Tue May 04, 2021 6:34 pm

Problem still persists.

Return to “BETA: SoftMaker Office for Android (general)”