External References when changing OS

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker Office 2021 for Linux that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.
keithm

External References when changing OS

Post by keithm »

Hello, I have just stopped using Windows and gone to Linux (Kubuntu as it happens) and the new download of Softmaker 2021 Home has gone well.
However, a problem has cropped up, which I thought I had raised on an earlier version, but I can find no reference on the forum.
As a result of the change of OS, I now have a new file location. I run a spreadsheet on an annual basis for income and outgoings, and each year I make a new Workbook with references back to the previous year for year end balances etc.
That new book on the old OS was complete and working well with all external references updating on opening. Now, I have been through the whole workbook umpteen times, using the 'external references' pop up, going through 'previous' and 'next' and every external reference is updated, but on opening, the pop up tells me 'some external references cannot be updated and stored values will be used'.
Now this is the point I thought I had raised a few years ago. When I go through the external references on the pop up, the first line is the path to the previous file, with the new and current path below it. The 'old' file is first, and is highlighted. There seems to be no way to delete that path, and even though the input field for every one of the cells with external reference shows the correct file path, nevertheless, the 'some external references cannot be updated and stored values will be used' pop up still appears.
A small hitch perhaps, but very annoying on every opening of the new file.
Any suggestions?
KeithM
keithm

Re: External References when changing OS

Post by keithm »

Hello again, I am posting as soon as I discover that I have solved my own problem!
Being baffled, I decided to read the manual (always a last resort!) and I discovered that I had been deluding myself by changing the highlighted file path to that of the new OS, and checking and updating with all of those external references being correct.
The manual says " Update
Updates only those external cell references that refer to the file currently selected in the list."
This gave me a hint that I needed to run through the pop up with the 'old' file path highlighted, and this in turn took me to two external references which had not been updated. I manually changed those, and hey presto, the reference to the 'old' file path disappeared from the pop up dialogue, and the file opens without claiming there are instances it cannot update.
Two small points. The 'external references' pop up does not move to show cell with the rogue reference, and if you minimise, the screen seems to lock.
And secondly, I am fairly sure I tried the 'change' button about which the manual says "Change
Lets you choose a different file for the external file currently selected in the list. All references to this file in
your document will be adopted accordingly" and this did not change all references as I read it to mean.
But let us not worry about that, I have got to where I might have got much earlier if I had read and understood the manual in the first place!
Alarm over, many thanks, KeithM

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2021 for Linux (General)”