Grievances

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker Office 2021 for Linux that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.
pete

Grievances

Post by pete »

Hi, I have now been using SoftMaker Office 2021 for Linux a little more than a year.

I am reaching a point where I am considering switching back to LibreOffice altogether even though I like Softmaker much better. I really do.

However, there are so many little annoyances that makes it hard to get work done without either spending a lot of time and then still it usually ends with me simply switching to LibreOffice.

These include (off the top of my head, but are not limited to):

- importing a CSV file in PlanMaker with a date field and currency field (e.g. when importing exchange rate for currencies) will format the date randomly. Some lines will be parsed as MM/DD/YYYY while other lines get parsed as DD/MM/YYYY WITHIN THE SAME IMPORT AND COLUMN and it's near impossible to fix or even spot once imported, regardless how you defined the column format, created the CSV file, configured the import settings etc. CSV files can only get imported reliably in LibreOffice in my experience.

- no ability to make scripts or even just define color based values (like IFCOLOR, IFBACKGROUND, SUMCOLOR etc.)

- no ability to embed spreadsheets in text documents. This is a big one.

- spending a lot of time carefully defining color palettes is a waste of time as color names aren't persisted and you end up with random color names.

- I find the style management extremely confusing to work with.

There's a lot of things I don't like about LibreOffice, but SoftMaker is slowly overtaking LibreOffice in this regard.

The lack of transparency from developers leaves me in the dark.

I don't know if anything is ever going to get fixed, what to expect from next release and so on - so I have no idea if I just need to bite the bullet six more months or if I should jump ship now.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Grievances

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for reporting these problems and for sharing the feedback. We always try to add more features and enhance existing as per customer's requirements and feedbacks.
pete wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:40 am - importing a CSV file in PlanMaker with a date field and currency field (e.g. when importing exchange rate for currencies) will format the date randomly. Some lines will be parsed as MM/DD/YYYY while other lines get parsed as DD/MM/YYYY WITHIN THE SAME IMPORT AND COLUMN and it's near impossible to fix or even spot once imported, regardless how you defined the column format, created the CSV file, configured the import settings etc.
Please share the sample CSV file in which you are getting the problem and the resultant file so that we can analyze this issue.

If you want to send it to us privately, please e-mail us at the forum[at]softmaker.de

Please also include the forum URL of this topic so that we can trace your e-mail.

viewtopic.php?f=392&t=22364&p=72342#p72342
pete wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:40 am - no ability to make scripts or even just define color based values (like IFCOLOR, IFBACKGROUND, SUMCOLOR etc.)

- no ability to embed spreadsheets in text documents. This is a big one.

- spending a lot of time carefully defining color palettes is a waste of time as color names aren't persisted and you end up with random color names.
I have forwarded these details to our product management...
pete wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 11:40 am - I find the style management extremely confusing to work with.
Please share complete details of the confusions for better understanding.

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2021 for Linux (General)”