[Bug] I can't open files "xls" and "ppt".

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker Office 2021 for Linux that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.
ssergio-ll

[Bug] I can't open files "xls" and "ppt".

Post by ssergio-ll »

Hello.

My system is KDE Neon 20.04 (Ubuntu 20.04 + KDE 5.21.5).

I have updated to last version of Softmaker (rev S1032.0507). Since that i have installed, i can't open with double click my files with extension "xls" and "ppt". All other formats I can open it.

I have tried to regenerate mimetypes with:

Code: Select all

sudo update-mime-database /usr/share/mime

update-mime-database $HOME/.local/share/mime
These are regenerated but it don't work. The files with extension "xls" and "ppt" are recognized like files OLE" (x-ole-storage).

If i uninstall Softmaker, remove the folder "/usr/share/mime" and i regenerate it with command:

sudo apt-get install --reinstall shared-mime-info
Then, the files "xls" and "ppt" are recognize good like files excel and powerpoint and i can open it with any software (libreoffice, etc), but if go back to install last version of softmaker, then it go back to are files x-ole-storage and i can't open it.

Any help?

Thanks.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: [Bug] I can't open files "xls" and "ppt".

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for reporting this problem. I have forwarded the details to our developers team for further investigation.
st1nkfinger

Re: [Bug] I can't open files "xls" and "ppt".

Post by st1nkfinger »

I had the exact same problem with associations for "doc", "xls" and "ppt".

My system is Linux Mint Mate 20.03

I found a fix.

Note:
Setting default file associations in the right-click "Open with" dialog didn't work.
Deleting remnants of a previous libreoffice install from .config/libreoffice didn't work
Manually editing .config/mimeapps.list didn't work.
A sudo apt purge and reinstall of sm office didn't work.

The problem:
The caja file manager! I installed thunar and all the "doc", "xls" and "ppt" files opened straight away in sm office with no further tweaks. I've now removed caja from my system.

I hope this fix works for you.

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2021 for Linux (General)”