Thanks to the developers of SoftMaker Office

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker Office 2021 for Linux that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.
Simorgh

Thanks to the developers of SoftMaker Office

Post by Simorgh »

Hi all,
I am wondering why SMO is not known as much? So far all my previous files created in MacOS Office load and don't loose any layout or formatting. I think I have found THE solution to replace Microsoft Office on Linux. After few months of testing and examining, I purchased the license and am slowly migrating my documents to be used on SoftMaker Office on my openSUSE Leap 15.2.
I think SoftMaker Office should be the default Office Package for Linux distros, instead of LibreOffice. I know LibreOffice is free, but people don't know about SoftMaker. I bet there are lots of people who don't know about the existence of SoftMaker Office and what it offers.

Once again,
Thank you developers.

Kind Regards,
Kourosh
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Thanks to the developers of SoftMaker Office

Post by miguel-c »

Thank you for your nice review. We've been growing our user base steadily and we believe there will come a time when the seeds we planted will bloom!
tanker_bob

Post by tanker_bob »

Want to add my thanks. I have been using both SMO and LO together on Linux over the years, but have transitioned entirely to SMO. I'm currently running OpenSUSE Tumbleweed. I greatly appreciate SMO's format compatibility, professional polish, and maintaining an up-to-date repository for updates. Thank you very much for your continued high-quality support for Linux.
ArnaudK
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by ArnaudK »

I use SMO at home on a Linux Desktop. While not perfect it runs perfectly well (OpenSUSE 15.2). My daughter & I prefer SMO while my wife & son prefer LibreOffice. With a full support of ODF (beyond Textmaker) this tool would be perfectly interoperable with MS Office & LibreOffice. A great alternative though.
swarfendor437

Post by swarfendor437 »

Despite some bugs, I am generally pleased with SMO on a number of points.
1. It's just so much easier on the eye than MS Office.
2. Workflow is so much easier, especially when it comes to the every day backend elements of adjusting images; stick on page is brilliant and prevents images from moving back to original page when modifying, editing tables and being able to delete tables not just 'cut' them which is all you could ever do in MS Office.
3. I love the autoshape text frame function that learns if you create a text frame in it subsequent shapes also have the text frame. Great for creating flash cards. Similarly the arc adds text frames - great for producing phonics. I also appreciate that lines has its own shortcut instead of being buried in autoshapes.

Keep up the great work! 😎
Junner2003

Post by Junner2003 »

I concur except for one annoyance: the "SoftMaker" folder in the home directory. Not sure why, but it really annoys the hell out of me. Would have been happy if that folder would either be moved into the ".config" directory or renamed to ".SoftMaker", so, that it essentially would become a hidden directory.

In my humble opinion, that folder simply doesn't belong in a user's root home folder. It contains configuration files and such and therefore, it shouldn't be there.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for your suggestion. I have forwarded this request to our product management...

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2021 for Linux (General)”