SoftMaker Office 2021 installation: Ownership and Permissions

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker Office 2021 for Linux that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.
Tom123

SoftMaker Office 2021 installation: Ownership and Permissions

Post by Tom123 »

Hi,

I just installed SoftMaker Office 2021 using "softmaker-office-2021_1016-01_amd64.deb" and noted, that during the installation of SoftMaker Office 2021, all installed files were stored with the wrong user and group IDs. Rather than using "root:root" as done for typical installations as well as the 2016 version of SoftMaker, the IDs of my personal user were used. In one case, also the permissions were not set as expected (write permission for group members).

Regards
Tom
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: SoftMaker Office 2021 installation: Ownership and Permissions

Post by SuperTech »

Please share details of the problem you are getting with SoftMaker Office 2021? Are you getting any error?

Thanks
Tom123

Re: SoftMaker Office 2021 installation: Ownership and Permissions

Post by Tom123 »

I did not observe any malfunction before and after correcting the ownership and permissions manually. However, it struck me as odd to find so many files and folders with user specific user and group IDs located in system folders.

Last time the LibreOffice folks did not pay attention to ownership and permissions in a Linux installation package, Libreoffice was not able to access its system fonts. Guess how, spoiled the LO GUI looked like?

So, so far this post is "just" a pro-active concern. Something, that should go into a checklist to be verified prior to a release.

Regards
Tom

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2021 for Linux (General)”