SM2021 not updating

Post here those questions, bug reports and suggestions for SoftMaker Office 2021 for Linux that do not fit in any of the application-specific subforums.
JohnWasilewski

SM2021 not updating

Post by JohnWasilewski »

:Until a few minutes ago (ie Monday 29 June 2020 about 19:15 GMT+1), my version of SMO has been the version I downloaded and installed immediately on SMO2021 first release, namely TextMaker Professional 2021 (rev S1014.0529) 64bit .

I always try to keep SMO and all other Linux system and application software fully up to date. I usually use the Linux command 'apt-get' rather than 'apt' or 'aptitude'. In fact I run, about every couple of days (including earlier today), this CLI command:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update -y && sudo apt-get upgrade -y && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y && ls
(the 'ls' at the end is just to show me when it's finished).

This practice caused me - jut once - to encountered the strange message I reported on this forum, soon after installing SM2021, about some sort of change of name in the repository (I forget the details but I did report it). I found I could correct it, however, by running, just once, this command instead, and entering 'y' at the prompt

sudo apt update 
Ever since then, I have reverted to my usual practice of using the long command sequence using 'apt-get', as shown above. This has been giving no errors, so I have assumed it would find and install any SMO updates automatically. It has not done so, so I have thought uo to now that there must not be any updates available just yet.

In addition, for the last several days -including immediately before what I now report, I've been using the SM Help menu to check for updates. The response has always been that my copy of SM2021 was up to date. This includes immediately before I did as follows, a few minutes ago:

Just on a sudden whim, I ran

sudo apt upgrade

To my considerable surprise, this installed a SMO update. I now have
TextMaker Professional 2021 (rev S1016.0624) 64bit

I am putting in this report to alert SM that it seems as if the common ways of keeping software up to daye, (a) using 'apt-get update' and/or using SM menus to check for updates, are not working.
---
John
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: SM2021 not updating

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for the detailed reporting. It seems you have not added the SoftMaker repository. To add SoftMaker repository please run following command:

sudo /usr/share/office2021/add_apt_repo.sh
Source : https://www.softmaker.com/en/tips-linux

After this, all your commands will work fine and will update the SoftMaker Office as you can see in the attached log file.

'?' > Check for update will always work without adding SoftMaker repository as you can see in the attached screenshot.
SMO update.png
Attachments
Ubuntu log.txt
(2.69 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
JohnWasilewski

Re: SM2021 not updating

Post by JohnWasilewski »

Thank you and I am sorry if I forgot to add the repository. Are you quite sure about this explanation? I ask, because, (1) I was very surprised because I felt sure that I had added it when I installed SMO2021, and (2) although my oversight would explain why 'sudo apt-get update' didn't work, I don't understand why 'sudo apt update' DID work, if I had not added the repository.

Anyway, if you're sure, then it seems that I must have forgotten.

What I am quite sure about though is that the HELP menu option to check for updates reported, incorrectly, that no updates were available.
I checked this immediately before updating successfully using the 'sudo apt upgrade' command.

Probably my report is a false alarm but I thought you'd like to have it.
---
Thanks again for the help.

Return to “SoftMaker Office 2021 for Linux (General)”