Lagging GIFs in Presentation for Linux

olorin

Lagging GIFs in Presentation for Linux

Post by olorin »

Hello,
I need to embed video clips in my presentation, but apparently, the Linux version of Presentations 2021 doesn't support this features, which is very inconvenient.
Therefore I have resolved to using GIFs. The problem is that when in slide show mode, GIFs lag considerably, sometimes to the point of only a couple of frames per second.
Looking in this forum I found this post from last year that reports a similar problem for the Windows version. I don't know if it has been fixed for Windows in the meantime, but for Linux it definitely hasn't.
Could the developer team look into that?
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Lagging GIFs in Presentation for Linux

Post by miguel-c »

Presentations 2024 beta now supports video clips in Linux and also fixed the animated GIFs lag issue in all operating systems.
olorin

Post by olorin »

Hello,
I have bought Presentations 2024 (rev S1206.1118, 64 bit), but unfortunately video clips are still not supported for Linux (when I try to play a video, the program crashes) and the GIF issue remains. I have sent a crash report.
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

The developers have analyzed your crash report, but they need the gif and mp4 you used.

Could you please provide them and also the Presentation file?
olorin

Post by olorin »

Sure, I am sending a customer support notice through https://www.softmaker.com/en/support/customer-support
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

Please send it to forum(at)softmaker.com instead and then inform us here
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

I received the files you sent us, but everything works fine on my Ubuntu 22.02 ✔, except for the video drag and drop ✖
Animated GIF is not laggy and MP4 doesn't crash.
Anyway, I also forwarded them to the developers.

How did you install your codecs? I installed them via:
sudo apt install ubuntu-restricted-extras
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

miguel-c wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:45 pm How did you install your codecs? I installed them via:
sudo apt install ubuntu-restricted-extras
Meanwhile, you can try this.
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

We checked the log and .INI files and you are running Presentations in X11 engine. That's of course slow (and nothing we can do about it)

-Try to turn OpenGL acceleration [Options→System→All or at least "Use OpenGL engine" and "Use OpenGL video acceleration")].
-If it is not possible then at least for faster-animated gifs try to turn off 'Options'→'System'→'Smooth edges of pictures'.
olorin

Post by olorin »

Thank you for your suggestions.
I have enabled all the OpenGL options and now gifs work like a charm. In practice, this already solves my problem.

I have also installed the ubuntu-restricted-extras, as you suggested (I don't know how I did install my codecs previously) and I restarted my pc, just in case. Unfortunately, playing the video is still causing the program to crash. Except in some rare cases (I tried multiple times, also with different videos) where the video plays, but appears green and with artifacts, as in the screenshot below.

The same behavior (crashing/green image) happens if I click on the video, Media object->Play media clip
Screenshot from 2023-12-05 15-29-24.png

Return to “Presentations 2021 for Linux”