Scroll by line (setting) does not work properly

JohnWasilewski

Scroll by line (setting) does not work properly

Post by JohnWasilewski »

PlanMaker Professional 2021 (rev S1016.0624) 64bit

I have a spreadsheet in which I have word-wrapped one of the columns, with text entries in many of the cells in that column spilling over 10 to 15 lines per cell. I am finding that I can scroll either from one page to the next or by jumping any number of rows I care to set as below, but I cannot control how many lines the mouse wheel scrolls with each movement increment.

I have set Tools>Options>System>Mouse wheel>Scrolls by to scroll by 1 line but PM2121 is misbehaving.
Instead of scrolling one LINE with every small incremental turn of the mouse wheel, it is scrolling one ROW.

The program has been incorrectly coded to confuse lines with rows. I can understand how the programmer probably assumed one line would always be the same as one spreadsheet row but, if that is what has caused this behaviour, it was a mistake. I've also just tested this behaviour with PM2018, and the behaviour was the same.

What would probably be better would be for Tools>Options>System>Mouse wheel to have, not two, but three options, namely
[ ] Scrolls by page
[ ] Scrolls by [ ] rows
[ ] Scrolls by [ ] lines

As an absolute minimum, however, please could SoftMaker correct this behaviour so that when scrolling by line is specified in settings, that is what PM2021 actually does.
---
John
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Scroll by line (setting) does not work properly

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for reporting this problem. I have forwarded the details to our development team.
JohnWasilewski

Post by JohnWasilewski »

I've just sent an example file, from my current work.

eMail details:
To: Forum@softmaker.de
Subject: SMO2021 Linux PM forum post: Scroll by line (setting) does not work properly
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2020 17:23:45 +0100

Please explain to me how to edit long text cells.

For example, please look at the EVENTS tab, cell C68.
Ignore typographical (spelling errors). It is just work-in-progress.

Urgent and important:

What do I have to do in order to see my text further down than about line 20 or 21 of this cell?
It needs to be at a sensible resolution (ie not zoomed out so the text is extremely small, because that puts an impossible strain on my eyes.
If I scroll down one line at a time, PM2021 jumps to the next cell without revealing the text I am trying to read and edit.
The only thing I can do to see the text is to zoom out but then it becomes impossibly small.
This happens whether I scroll with the mouse wheel or the keyboard down arrow.
I am hitting a brick wall with my work because PlanMaker is not working properly. Until SM can give me a fix for this,
I almost can't continue with my professional work. This is extemely important to me.

Please, please,
Either correct this fault or at the VERY LEAST, give me a temporary workaround so that I am not prevented from continuing my work.
---
John
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for reporting this problem with the associated file. I have forwarded this to our development team. Ideally, this is a different topic I think.

I have checked your file and we think you should use TextMaker to create such tables which contain such large amount of text without any involvement of calculations etc because as you know we have TextMaker for better processing the text and PlanMaker is more about formulas/graphs and different calculations related stuff.

For this file, either you can create this in TextMaker or you can copy the text from this specific cell to TextMaker for editing purposes.
JohnWasilewski

Post by JohnWasilewski »

More bad news:

See email To: Forum@SoftMaker.de
Subject: Data file for PlanMaker 2021
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2020 19:33:30 +0100

Look at cell C71. PM2021 has crushed the last seven lines all into one line. Double-clicking the cell shows that they are all there but they cannot be read at ANY magnification in either normal view or print view.

I need a fix or a work-around urgently, please.
---
John
JohnWasilewski

Post by JohnWasilewski »

Code: Select all

you should use TextMaker to create such tables which contain such large amount of text without any involvement of calculations etc because as you know we have TextMaker for better processing the text and PlanMaker is more about formulas/graphs and different calculations related stuff. 

For this file, either you can create this in TextMaker or you can copy the text from this specific cell to TextMaker for editing purposes.
Spreadsheets have better cell processing tools, such as data validation checks and drop-down menus for data entry. Don’t think that cell processing must always involve numerical processing. Text processing is equally important sometimes, using string functions.

For this reason, it has become commonplace to use spreadsheets for simple databases, including even relational databases (using VLOOKUP), and that is exactly what I am doing here.

This is a relational database, which users expect top-of-the-range modern spreadsheets to be easily able to handle.

In the past, I have used M$ Excel for this, as have many other people. I am sorry if I am hammering PM hard and stretching it beyond its string handling limit but, please, I need PM2022 to come up to scratch and do this for me properly. It needs to be able to cope with heavy usage like this.
—-
John
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

I have reported all the problems mentioned including related to cell C71.

Thanks
JohnWasilewski

Post by JohnWasilewski »

Thank you for working late into the night on a Friday, on this problem.
I hope your developers have the same amount of commitment!
---
John

Return to “PlanMaker 2021 for Linux”