Document in use or write-protected

ozne

Document in use or write-protected

Post by ozne »

Whenever I try to open an Excel file (.xlsx) from the file browser, PlanMaker will complain that the file is "in use or write-protected" and only open it read-only. No such issues with LibreOffice. File permissions are as ususal (u=rw).

Any idea where this might come from?

I'm on Linux Mint 19.3 with PlanMaker Trial 2021 (rev S1014.0529) 64bit.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Document in use or write-protected

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for reporting this problem. Please let us know if this file is located on a local drive or on-network shared location.
ozne

Post by ozne »

I'm experiencing this when opening xlsx files in Thunderbird and a mounted volume (on which I usually work).

Thanks!
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Are you getting this problem while accessing file from local drive also? Is this happening with all xlsx files or one specific file?

Thanks
mgrinsven

Post by mgrinsven »

SuperTech wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:40 pm Are you getting this problem while accessing file from local drive also? Is this happening with all xlsx files or one specific file?

Thanks
Can confirm the problem. Reported this problem also for Textmaker during the beta tests. However the problem of opening a file on gvfs mount seems solved now on Textmaker, but PlanMaker (and probably Presentations also) still has this problem.
ozne

Post by ozne »

SuperTech wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:40 pm Are you getting this problem while accessing file from local drive also? Is this happening with all xlsx files or one specific file?
This seems to occur also with files that Thunderbird stores locally within /tmp, but this is expected. I prefer the behaviour of LibreOffice though (no "copy" insertion in the file name).
This affects both .xslx and .docx files regardless of the content.
There is no such problem after copying the file to the desktop.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for sharing the details. As you also mentioned Thunderbird stores files in /tmp from which all programs access these files in Read-only and can use "Save as" to save the edited file. Same with PlanMaker 2021 also. Please check.

As files on mounted volume are concerned like gvfs mount, please check the file permissions also, if file permissions are set properly, it will work as expected with PlanMaker 2021 without any problem.
mgrinsven

Post by mgrinsven »

SuperTech wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:33 pm Thanks for sharing the details. As you also mentioned Thunderbird stores files in /tmp from which all programs access these files in Read-only and can use "Save as" to save the edited file. Same with PlanMaker 2021 also. Please check.

As files on mounted volume are concerned like gvfs mount, please check the file permissions also, if file permissions are set properly, it will work as expected with PlanMaker 2021 without any problem.
Cannot set the permissions on the gvfs mount (a nextcloud wedav). The same mount can read files for Textmaker and Presentations. So dont know why Planmaker would be different. Anyway i am not using the gvfs mount. The nextcloud gets synced with a directory locally and that works fine.
ozne

Post by ozne »

SuperTech wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:33 pm Thanks for sharing the details. As you also mentioned Thunderbird stores files in /tmp from which all programs access these files in Read-only and can use "Save as" to save the edited file. Same with PlanMaker 2021 also. Please check.

The issue with Thunderbird is cleared.

However, the problem persists on certain mounted volumes:
- FUSE volume (Cryptomator)
- Opening a file with Planmaker triggers "Document ... in use or-write protected".
- Read & write permissions are set as usual.
- No problem with LibreOffice when opening the same files in the same location.
- Interestingly, no such problem with Textmaker either.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

I have forwarded the details to our development team.

Thanks

Return to “PlanMaker 2021 for Linux”