Strange font substitution

wbrells

Strange font substitution

Post by wbrells »

Folks,

I've attached a 'snippet' from the output of a Python program that generates a docx file. When viewed with Microsoft Word, the email address adamsappleinc@bellsouth.net appears fine in Calibri 12 font. HOWEVER, when viewed with TextMaker 2021, this address (but NOT the rest of this 'snippet') is shown in Time-Roman font. I have no idea where or why this font change is taking place, but the result looks bad!

BTW the latest version of FreeOffice has the same problem, but LibreOffice Writer displays the address correctly in Calibri font.

Hope someone can spread some light on this situation.

Wayne
Attachments
FontExample.docx
(11.23 KiB) Downloaded 214 times
Woody44

Re: Strange font substitution

Post by Woody44 »

Curious.

When I open that file in Word 2019, as you reported everything appears in Calibri. When I open it in TextMaker 2024, the first e-mail address (only, not the others) appears in Times New Roman.

In TextMaker, everything has the same style tag: Normal. However, when I open the file in Word 2019, nothing has the style tag Normal, and that first e-mail address has a different style tag than everything else. In Word, everything else except the bold-faced last names has the style tag DirRegular. That first e-mail address has the style tag DirRegular97. DirRegular97 is supposed to be based on DirRegular, and it is supposed to be Calibri as the default font for that style.

I would guess that the problem is the different style tag. The question is why TextMaker isn't recognizing the styles as formatted in Word.
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

Disclaimer: I'm working under Windows, not Linux.

I did some further investigation. I format books for print-on-demand publishing, both for myself and for other authors. Proper book formatting involves the use of styles, so I opened up a couple of files for finished books that have been fully formatted and published. Regardless of whether the files are opened in Word or TextMaker (2024), the styles remain the same. Paragraphs tagged as Normal style show up as Normal in both programs. Paragraphs tagged as First and paragraphs tagged as Heading 1 likewise show up the same (respectively) in both Word and Textmaker.

I have no explanation for why the styles in your file do NOT show up as being the same styles in both Word and TextMaker.
wbrells

Post by wbrells »

Thanks very much for the clue about different Styles! I use a "template" for the table that is employed when generating the name/address list under Python. Even though the cell for the email address had a Normal Style, it seems that the associated font was 10pt Times-New-Roman. When I changed this font to 12pt Calibri, the email is now shown properly in both TextMaker and Word! I don't know exactly why there was an original difference between TextMaker and Word, but fortunately it seems that problem has been resolved.

Thanks again, Wayne
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

I still don't have a clue what happened, but I'm happy if my efforts helped you find a work-around.

Return to “TextMaker 2021 for Linux”