Search for nonprinting character 12 form feed

DJungk

Search for nonprinting character 12 form feed

Post by DJungk »

Hi, I have a 300 page document made in TextMaker using text that was given to me. I have it all formatted with headings, quotes, chapter breaks, etc. I just noticed that, scattered through it, the original text has ascii character 12 (form feed) characters where spaces should be. I can take the text out and replace these in a text editor, but when I put the text back in, all the formatting is lost. There are 116 of them in the text. Is there a way to find and replace these in TextMaker?

Thank you for your time,
Don Jungk
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Search for nonprinting character 12 form feed

Post by miguel-c »

Unfortunately, we don't support searching for regular expressions, but you can try the following:
1. Create a copy of your file
2. Rename the copy's extension to .zip
3. Enter the zip file and edit the file \word\document.xml in a text editor that supports replacing such characters
4. Do a search a replace
5. Save the file
6. Rename it from ZIP back to its original extension
7. Open it in TextMaker.
DJungk

Re: Search for nonprinting character 12 form feed

Post by DJungk »

Thank you for your answer. That was a pretty good suggestion. It didn't work out this time because the character I was looking for was apparently used by the tmdx format. When I changed them all, it altered the chapter and page breaks also. But it will be a good technique at some time in the future, I'm sure.
Thanks,
Don

Return to “TextMaker 2021 for Linux”