Comments not preserved with ODT format

lgsl

Comments not preserved with ODT format

Post by lgsl »

When a document is saved (with and without setting compatibility mode to OpenOffice/LibreOffice) comments made in text that has been applied any Heading style are lost after saving and reopening the document.

Steps to reproduce this issue:

1. Create a new document.
2. Add some text
3. Style the text: Headings, body text and so on.
4. Add comments to any headings and body text.
5. Set (or don't, it does not seems to matter) document compatibility to OO/LO in Document Properties => View Compatibility
6. Save the document in ODT format.
7. Open it again in TM or LibreOffice. Comments in headings will be missing and comments in body text may or may not show.

Update:

I tried the other way around. I created a document in LibreOffice and added comment to text that had the heading style applied to it. When the file is opened in TM the comments are shown correctly. Once the document is saved with TM the comments in headers are lost. TM is doing something wrong when saving to ODT.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Comments not preserved with ODT format

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for reporting this problem. I am able to reproduce it and forwarded it to our developer team.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Our developer team have fixed this problem and the solution will be included in the next service pack of SoftMaker Office.
lgsl

Post by lgsl »

This problem persists in rev S1050.0807
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for the feedback, but I am unable to reproduce this problem using the above steps. Please share the sample file in which you are getting this problem.

Please also let us know if you're getting this problem in the new files or in the existing only?
lgsl

Post by lgsl »

It occurs in both existing and new files.

With new files, thins are even more charming. Comments are preserved correctly in Headings, but those in normal text are not. Please see attachments for details (docx shows it correctly, odt incorrectly.)
Attachments
Header 1.odt
(4.67 KiB) Downloaded 152 times
Header 1.docx
(12.84 KiB) Downloaded 127 times
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for sharing sample files, but I can see all comments in your ODT file also. Please check this below screenshot for your reference.
ODT with comments.png
Please make sure you have updated your SoftMaker Office to the latest revision S1050. Please share your sminfo.txt file.

If you are still unable to see these comments, please reinstall your SoftMaker Office once and then check.
lgsl

Post by lgsl »

Your screenshot shows the problem right there. Please compare the odt file against the docx one. You'll notice that the last comment belongs to the paragraph (Text) and not a header. In the odt file is showing as if this comment was part of the header. Is not. Also notice that the text form comment #4 (the one that is in reality assigned to paragraph, but in the odt is show as assigned to header) has a different content in the docx file, while in the odt the comment is the same.

As I stated before I'm using rev S1050.0807. Please double check both files in a careful manner. Is evident you did not. If you did you would have notice the discrepancies after comparing both of them. You can alternatively take a look at the attached screenshots.

You can open the docx file and save it as odt, then open the newly saved file and come across this issue too.
Attachments
ODT file. Comments show incorrectly
ODT file. Comments show incorrectly
DOCX file. Comments show correctly
DOCX file. Comments show correctly
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for sharing the screenshots. I am unable to reproduce this mentioned problem when I saved the DOCX file as ODT. Please check and try this again.

But I am able to find another problem in your file, which I have forwarded to our developer team for further testing.
raitis.veksejs
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by raitis.veksejs »

The issue noticed by my colleague has been resolved and the solution to it will be included in the next SoftMaker Office 2024 Beta update and in SoftMaker Office 2021 Service Pack S1066.

Return to “TextMaker 2021 for Linux”