Custom compose keys (in .XCompose) not working in TextMaker

jsb-law

Custom compose keys (in .XCompose) not working in TextMaker

Post by jsb-law »

I created a customized .XCompose file in my home directory, and TextMaker is set to use XIM, but I cannot use any of my custom compose key combinations in TextMaker.

I am running Manjaro with KDE Plasma.

I tried unchecking "Use XIM," restarting TextMaker, and re-checking "Use XIM," but no luck. I also had no luck when I restarted my machine between unchecking and re-checking "Use XIM."

At first, I thought it could be a Qt/GTK thing, but my custom compose keys work in other GTK programs like Firefox.

Any assistance would be appreciated — I am hopeful that I will not have to modify the system wide Compose file.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Custom compose keys (in .XCompose) not working in TextMaker

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for reporting this problem. Please share some screenshot of the problem with more details for better understanding.
Hook

Post by Hook »

jsb-law wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 9:04 pm I created a customized .XCompose file in my home directory, and TextMaker is set to use XIM, but I cannot use any of my custom compose key combinations in TextMaker.

I am running Manjaro with KDE Plasma.

I tried unchecking "Use XIM," restarting TextMaker, and re-checking "Use XIM," but no luck. I also had no luck when I restarted my machine between unchecking and re-checking "Use XIM."

At first, I thought it could be a Qt/GTK thing, but my custom compose keys work in other GTK programs like Firefox.

Any assistance would be appreciated — I am hopeful that I will not have to modify the system wide Compose file.
Just to note, I ran into this same issue using Majaro and KDE Plasma. I'm more of a noob than @jsb-law—I wasn't using a keyboard customization file, I was just assigning a compose key in system settings > input methods >Keyboard >advanced. I was just looking for a way to create an em dash in Textnmaker. The compose key assignment I made works in a terminal and in UltraEdit for creating an em dash, but it looks like something in the way Textmaker takes over the keyboard ignores the compose key assignment.

I did find a simple solution. I found the em dash character (unicode 2014) in the insert symbol table and assigned it the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+- in Textmaker.

So, I'm fine, but it might be good to know why Textmaker ignores the KDE key assignments. If it's a feature, maybe Softmaker office could have an easier key assignment function for internal key assignments.
mauricebis

Post by mauricebis »

Same problem here with XFCE manjaro. I think this comes from the fact that Textmaker is not using the GTK but the QT library? From what I read I understand that GTK applications don't suffer from this problem since GTK inherits the locale from the host platform as well as the compose file. In QT things seem to be hard coded at least in QT5 and the system locale would be ignored. Now agreed, Textmaker should give the possibility to tailor customised shortcuts for inserting unicode characters ; the present edit keyboard mapping in insert symbol is very restricted in terms of eligible keys.
raitis.veksejs
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by raitis.veksejs »

What revision of SoftMaker Office 2021 are you running? The XCompose problem was fixed and tested on Manjaro as well.

Return to “TextMaker 2021 for Linux”