High CPU usage

lgsl

High CPU usage

Post by lgsl »

After typing for 10-15 minutes TM2021 uses up to 20% of the CPU. If I stop typing, the CPU usage goes down to 1%.
The document I'm working on is right now, 16 pages long. It's just texts. It has no images, headers, tables, footers, footnotes... Even the styling is minimal at the moment.

If I open this document in LibreOffice and keep working on it, LibreOffice CPU usage never goes beyond 3%. This makes me think there are performance issues with TM.

This issue has been noticed with KDE, Enlightement 0.24, e16 (with and without composite), and FVWM3 (with and without composite).

Presentation also suffers from performance issues, but as I recall this has been reported already.

Update: I think this is due the Thumbnails Preview. I think it keeps refreshing all thumbnails constantly, even if I'm not using the feature, not even have it selected on my sidebar. This feature should be turn off, if one is not using it, or at least only refresh on fixed intervals, and not refresh all thumbnails, only the one is being edited. An option to disable it would be also handy. As far as I can tell, this feature can be resource intensive, specially with longer documents.

I did try resenting SO config to defaults (rename SoftMaker folder to something else). No changes.

Disabling fonts I was not using, deleting styles, trying various file formats, did not help neither. Disabling "Smooth edges of screen fonts" and the OpenGL Engine didn't do anything to fix the problem either.

Update 2: After installing TM2018, and finding myself with the same issue, this rules out the thumbnail preview theory.

Update 3: This can also be reproduced in MacOS.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: High CPU usage

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for reporting this problem. Please share the associated file of TextMaker 2021 in which you are getting this problem and a screen recording of the problem so that we can do further investigation for resolution. Also, share your sminfo file which you can generate by clicking on '?' > About > Write system information.

If you want to send it to us privately, please e-mail us at the forum[at]softmaker.de

Please also include the forum URL of this topic so that we can trace your e-mail.
viewtopic.php?f=389&t=21061
lgsl

Post by lgsl »

I sent the requested information via email
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for sharing details. I have checked your video and found its fine if for some instant CPU usage reached 16-19% while you are typing with spell checker etc. enabled. Let your CPU do some work for you. :)
lgsl

Post by lgsl »

This should either way be addressed.

Spell chequing should not increase CPU that much. This is irregular. In AbiWord, LibreOffice Write, Calligra Words and even MS Word (via CrossOver/Wine) this does not happens. Witch means is not a normal behaviour for a Word processor.

CPU should not peak so much, and do so incrementally with the length of the document, with such a trivial task.

Update:
After disabling the spell checker and also automatic hyphenation, the CPU usage issue remains.

Return to “TextMaker 2021 for Linux”