Crossref bug report

JohnWasilewski

Crossref bug report

Post by JohnWasilewski »

TextMaker Professional 2021 (rev S1020.0909) 64bit

Please see the email I have just sent you.
Sent: Sat, 2020-09-12 at 17:55 +0100 UK time:

Details:

See https://forum.softmaker.com/viewtopic.php?f=389&t=20432

Please see the attached document and screen recording.
The screen recording shows my trying to insert a cross reference to "Figure 4", only
But TextMaker inserts the figure number and the whole figure title.

I repeated this many times in this same position before finally I made a recording of it.
Bizarrely, however, immediately after I had recorded it, then started writing this email, the VERY NEXT TIME I tried it, Textmaker worked properly and inserted just the Figure number.
Therefore, when you try it in the same place in the document, it will probably not reproduce the error. But TM cannot get away with it this time. I have a recording!
---
John

SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Crossref bug report

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for reporting this problem. I was able to reproduce it and forwarded the details to our development team.
JohnWasilewski

Post by JohnWasilewski »

This is definitely a bug, and I have two further pieces of information (one of which is also a 'workaround').

(1) Firstly, I have noticed something a bit odd. In the list that displays, in the cross-reference dialog box, of all of the Figures and their captions in the document, the available figures for the cross reference are generally all listed in increasing figure-number order. However, in the example I sent you, where I was inserting a cross reference to Figure 4 out of a long list of about 22 or 23 available figures, they were all shown in the dialog box in numerical order except for the one I was selecting for my cross-reference. For some unknown reason, TM showed this one at the bottom of the list in the dialog box. This might or, of course, MIGHT NOT, be relevant.

(2) It is only sometimes, not always, when TM has been asked for a cross-ref containing only the Figure number, that it inserts the whole of the Figure number plus the entire caption. When this happens, pressing F9 corrects the cross reference to just the Figure number as requested. Apparently it has been correctly inserted by TM, and it is just the screen display that is wrong. This is the same behaviour as we have seen in another 'issue', about cross-references pointing the wrong way and then self-correcting afterwards
( https://forum.softmaker.com/viewtopic.p ... 647#p67647 ).
As before, I suggest the developers need a subroutine/function call to refresh cross-reference tables immediately after inserting a cross-ref. If they don't want to do this automatically, then perhaps provide a user option for auto-updating as part of cross-reference insertion.
---
John
JohnWasilewski

Post by JohnWasilewski »

I've sending you another screen recording. This time, I tried to insert crossref to the text of a heading.

See email, Sun, 13 Sep 2020 23:28:23 +0100

You will see how, first, TM inserted only part of the text.
When I pressed F9, it changed the cross ref to part of the text and part of the line after it, of a DIFFERENT heading.
Then, after 10 seconds more, it changed the crossref to what I had asked for.

So it worked in the end but only after a lot of bother and confusion.
---
John
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for sharing the screen recording and details. I have forwarded the details to our development team.

Return to “TextMaker 2021 for Linux”