View two pages side by side for print book setup

jtreagan

View two pages side by side for print book setup

Post by jtreagan »

I'm moving over to Linux from Windows and trying out Textwriter as a replacement for MS Word. Looks good so far. My first project is to typeset my latest book. In order to do that properly, I need to see adjoining pages in a side-by-side view. Have tried clicking through all the ribbon menus and so far come up dry. Can anyone tell me how to do this? Thanks.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: View two pages side by side for print book setup

Post by SuperTech »

You can enable this two-page view by ribbon menu View | Zoom Group | Two Pages.

Or you can simply zoom out and the page view will change according to page zoom level from one-page view to two pages and so on.

Thanks
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi »

Unfortunately, this function doesn't allow to view facing pages side-by-side (as in an open book), because the title page isn't shown separately; so you see left pages right and right pages left and cannot control the layout properly. The only workaround at present is to insert an empty page as first page of the document and to remove it again when editing is done.
JohnWasilewski

Post by JohnWasilewski »

I also find it a nuisance that I can't trust TM to display pairs of pages side by side exactly as they appear when reading two-sided printing. This matters because I often spend time going through long documents to check facing pages in pairs - for example, to make sure certain things appear on the RH side when opening a two-page spread, or to check that diagrams and photos are visible when reading the text passages that refer to them.

It is easy to understand how TextMaker must have been coded to display pairs of pages, starting with pages 1 and 2, but it is surely one of those oversights for which, although the developers - or rather the individual programmers - can be forgiven, it does need to be corrected.

It is very obvious from the many good things about TextMaker that the developers always strive to provide a user interface that is logical and familiar to users, not the one that's logical to the developers. (Compare this with Micro$oft Word. For example, how many of us must have spent a total of many hours hunting endlessly through M$Word's impenetrable ribbon interface in search of simple functions buried somewhere quite illogically?).

Do please fix this for us when you can, SoftMaker!
---
John
jtreagan

Post by jtreagan »

That worked! Thanks, everyone! I'll also follow the advice to insert a blank page in the beginning so I can view facing pages. Good suggestion. @john I'm with you that this problem needs to be fixed, but getting away from MS Word is well worth having to jump over a few bumps in the road.

Thanks again!

John R.

Return to “TextMaker 2021 for Linux”