How to select whole sentence, lag in displaying text on screen, etc.

Csaba

How to select whole sentence, lag in displaying text on screen, etc.

Post by Csaba »

Hi,
Currently I use the trial version of Textmaker 2021 for Linux. First time using it, overall very good! But I found several minor problems.

1. Is there a way to easily select a whole sentence? In MS Word Ctrl+click inside the sentence does it, but I could not find anything similar in TM2021.

2. With larger documents (over 10 pages) typed text appears on the screen with a substantial delay, sometimes even 2-3 words later. I read somewhere that 'AutoSave' and 'Open GL engine' may influence this. Tried turning them off, but not much difference. Is there anything else to try?

3. I work a lot with large tables. If you select more than a single cell of a table, then Find (Ctrl+F) and Replace (Ctrl+H) does not work (without selecting anything they do work, though). Select all (Ctrl+A) is also weird inside a table. It selects the content of the cell where the cursor is, but not the whole document.

4. Deleting whole words to the left using Ctrl + Backspace inside a table cell is also weird. If by deleting you reach the beginning of the text within the cell, then an accidental next click selects and deletes the whole content to the right of cursor (which should be kept). If now you push Undo (Ctrl + Z), then Undo works, but the cursor jumps to the beginning of the whole document.

5. Extra spaces unnecessarily remain sometimes, even if in Options 'Add or remove spaces when pasting' is turned on. If by double click you select and then delete the last word of a sentence, then a space is left there, between the period and the word that became last now. Drag and Drop also leaves a space the same way. The same is the case with the first word of the sentence. If you select by double click and delete it, a space is left there, even if it is the first sentence in a paragraph, or in a table cell.

I also have a question about licensing. Your offer for 5 instances of SoftMaker 2021 for home use is very generous, but I do not know how it works over time. I plan to buy, not subscribe. Currently I would be able to use it on 2 computers. Would I be able to use the license for another 3 computers even let's say years later?

Thank you for all your help!
Csaba
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: How to select whole sentence, lag in displaying text on screen, etc.

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for reporting these problems to us. Here are the answers:

1,3,4. I was able to reproduce it and forwarded the details to our development team.

2. Please share the associated file of TextMaker 2021 in which you are getting this problem so that we can do further investigation for resolution.

If you want to send it to us privately, please send us an e-mail to the forum[at]softmaker.de

Please also include the forum URL of this topic so that we can trace your e-mail.
https://forum.softmaker.com/viewtopic.p ... 157#p67157

5. As the option says "Add or remove spaces when pasting", it's working fine when we paste the text.

SoftMaker Office Professional 2021 is a one time purchase so you can add your rest of 3 home computers later also without any problem but total home computers can't exceed the limit of 5. We have a subscription-based license also which needs renewal after the paid time.

Thanks
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Csaba wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:59 pm 3. I work a lot with large tables. If you select more than a single cell of a table, then Find (Ctrl+F) and Replace (Ctrl+H) does not work (without selecting anything they do work, though). Select all (Ctrl+A) is also weird inside a table. It selects the content of the cell where the cursor is, but not the whole document.
Please share some more details on this point, why you selected Table cells before searching? Please let us know what you want to achieve with this?

Thanks
Csaba

Post by Csaba »

Thank you for your answer!
#2: just sent a file with a larger table to the email address. Is it possible somehow to increase the memory allotted to TM? Or would it help at all?

#3: Why to select part of a table: The same term is present in many cells of the table, but I want to replace all occurrence only in a certain part of the table (like in one column only), without going thru individually finding and replacing those. So it makes sense to select the column, but 'Replace' then does not work.

#5: Yes, it seems you are right. So I should not expect checking the "Add or remove spaces when pasting" option to have any effect for deleting text. But still, the error with deleting and Drag&Drop is still there.

Thanks a lot!
Csaba
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for sharing the file and details. I checked your file and tried typing at the end of the document. I didn't find any slow typing there. Please check the attached video of the test and please try again.

Can you please make a video of this problem if you have any such software or you can use one free from www.screentogif.com
Slow type test.gif
Csaba

Post by Csaba »

I installed Peek to record, I hope you can see. Typing at the end of the file I also did not notice any slowdown. But wen I started typing in the middle of it (page 4 of 15), then there was a very clear delay. When I stopped typing, it did catch up in a second, but the delay can be quite disturbing.

I know in MS Word it matters what View I use with these files. Page View is slow, probably because it continuously repaginates in the background. Draft View is fast. But in TM I did not find so far any difference between Standard View and Continuous View. It can be slow in both. Probably the longer the file beyond the point of editing (11 pages in this case) the bigger the delay, but I am just guessing.
Attachments
tm screen lags.gif
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for sharing the screen recording. Please try to disable OpenGL and then check this problem again.

To disable OpenGL please click on ribbon command File | Options | System and then uncheck "Enable OpenGL Engine" and "Use SHM extension", then click on OK. After this reopen TextMaker with this test file and check this problem again.
Csaba

Post by Csaba »

"Enable OpenGL Engine" was already unchecked. Checking/unchecking "Use SHM extension" does not seem to make a difference, it is still slow, I can't tell whether more or less. Still distracting.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for trying this step. Please share your sminfo file which you can generate by clicking on '?' > About > Write system information.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for sharing sminfo and other details. I have forwarded the files and details to our development team for further investigation of this issue.

Return to “TextMaker 2021 for Linux”