Equation editor

jmarc

Equation editor

Post by jmarc »

is there a plan to implement the eqaution editor in the Linux version as it is in the Windows version ?
If yes, do you have any date to share with us?

thank You
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Equation editor

Post by SuperTech »

Yes, the equation editor for Linux is in our wish list but we don't have any specific date to share with you. I have forwarded this request again to our development team.

Thank you
Tom123

Post by Tom123 »

I support the request for an equation editor for the entire SoftMaker Office suite under Linux. It is absolutely necessary in order to write scientific papers.

Regards
Tom
lro

Post by lro »

Hello,

is there any workaround for this issue, other than adding the formula as an image? I was very happy when I came across your software, but it doesn't help us much if it is not possible to implement equations. It does not make the software any better than LibreOffice, which is free and supports equations already.

Best regards
Lukas
Last edited by lro on Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

I am sorry to inform you but currently, we don't have any workaround for this issue.
vtpoet

Post by vtpoet »

Given that this request has been forwarded to the development team ever since I first started reading this forum (six or seven years now?) I think one can safely assert that this feature won't be appearing in Linux. The statement that this will be forwarded to the development team, as if this request were news to them(!), begins to sound disingenuous.

The only workaround is to use LibreOffice, Latex or you could try Mathtype in combination with Textmaker (cutting & pasting). I don't think WPS Office offers an equation editor (also opting for Mathtype) but you could give it a try.

Edit: Oops. I thought Mathtype was available on Linux. It's not. You might try KLatexFormula.
lro

Post by lro »

Yesterday new version 2021 for Linux came out, but still no equation editor. This software is really a great tool for Linux users but it is also useless if there is no integrated equation editor. Please start taking the Linux users more seriously.
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

Thank you for your feedback. I've forwarded it to our product management.
bhlevca

Post by bhlevca »

vtpoet wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:09 pm [...]
I don't think WPS Office offers an equation editor (also opting for Mathtype) but you could give it a try.
[...]
You are misinformed. The WPS Office suite has an Equation editor. As much as I did not want to use it, WPS has the best compatibility with the MS Office and I started using it and I have no regrets. Softmaker will lose all the Linux customers if they find out that WPS is free and fully compatible with MS Office.

I came back here hoping that I can switch to Text Maker, but as other posters have noticed it's been many years since we hear the same disingenuous promise that developers are looking into it. The fact of the matter is that they perceive Linux as a niche market, which is not financially rewarding. The way MS operates now I can see them bringing their Office Suite to Linux before Softmaker will introduce an Equation editor in the less lucrative market.
cleetus

Post by cleetus »

If you are going to be using a significant number of mathematical formulas then the tool to use is Lyx
https://www.lyx.org/
Which is a LaTex typesetting editor. Lyx is available on Linux and OpenBSD. There are short YouTube tutorials on how to use it. It comes with just about every math operator known. It comes with symbols for Stokes theorem, the divergence theorem, the Laplacian operator, the Curl operator, The gradient, line integrals, surface integrals, Jacobians, matrices, partial derivatives, etc.

Note to Softmaker developers: Please do not include an equation editor in Textmaker when a program like Lyx is available for free. Lyx is easy to use. Textmaker is for letters and generic forms, not the specialized typesetting of multiple integrals and other operators of higher mathematics. Don't ruin a good word processor by adding features that are resident in well tested programs like Lyx.
Last edited by cleetus on Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
bhlevca

Post by bhlevca »

@cleetus I understand your stance and this is just your opinion. More and more editors do not accept LaTeX files anymore and they demand Microsoft formats. In addition, if you have collaborators, chances are that most of them have not even heard about LaTeX, which is unfortunate. However, for scientific writing, an equation editor is a must and by not providing one you lose that part of the market.

Note to developers: If you want to provide a complete product please do provide one or integration with existing ones such as JMathEdit that runs on Linux.
vcardozo@gmail.com

Post by vcardozo@gmail.com »

miguel-c wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 1:27 pm Thank you for your feedback. I've forwarded it to our product management.
Hi good morning.

Hoping you have a nice day, I mention that I have tried to activate the equation editor in my textmaker 2021 and sadly I have read in this forum that such a function (essential for academic work) is not present in the linux version. I read here that this request has been going on for years and has not materialized and, it seems to me not very functional to have to use third-party tools to virtualize or edit what is necessary in my documents when I have relied on Softmaker software for this, perhaps it was my mistake not having tried the linux version and only have done it in windows, who would have thought that there are differences?, as a normal user I just trusted. It's a shame to have to look for alternatives when the expense for a "professional" version has already been made.

I hope you will consider it and put the proper notes to differentiate your products according to the operating system and that way it does not seem that we are being ripped off.

Greetings
Leigh

Post by Leigh »

Hi
Any roadmap for this?
I understand that it has to be commercially viable, but it would be great for me!
The rest of Softmaker looks great
Smilodog

Post by Smilodog »

I do like SoftMaker Office, and its text editor Textmaker. It seems that it has much less issues in compatibility with MS Word than alternative offices, like OnlyOffice. And by my experience SoftMaker Office is more stable than LibreOffice, especially its presentation tool (Presentation vs. Impress).

Saying that, it is sad that more often than not I have a limited use of Textmaker because of the absence of equation editor. I am physicochemist, and most of the texts I am working with contains equations. Yes, I do use LaTeX, but so very few of my colleagues also do. And thus without equation editor my use of Textmaker is limited to some formal documentations, which is hardly a quarter of my documents.

And this thread hints somehow that the developers of SoftMaker are not much interested in ensuring 100% functionality of linux version of the suite by, in particular, adding equation editor.

I get it : Linux user are special. Most of us are loyal to FOSS principles and dislike MS products. So, the alternatives of MS Office suite are included into most of distros. And there are mainly 2 big players in this niche : LibreOffice and OnlyOffice, while SoftMaker is much less popular. Which seems to me a pity, considering the quality of the product. But then, it is neither free no open-source. Nevertheless, the proprietary software is frequently included into various distros. And I, for instance, have other paid linux softwares on my computer, besides SoftMaker.

So, I guess the question is: is it so that SoftMaker sees no commercial value in giving SoftMaker for Linux 100% functionality (which is understandable), or is it just very far down in the list of priorities?

With my respect.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for your post and for your time and patience. Our developer team is working continuously to provide 100% bug free, user-friendly, feature enriched, efficient product but sometimes due to technical limitations from the multiple factors like operating system, it takes longer time to implement.

Return to “TextMaker 2021 for Linux”