Auto-numbering fault in a table

JohnWasilewski

Auto-numbering fault in a table

Post by JohnWasilewski »

TextMaker Professional 2021 (rev S1014.0529) 64bit

First problem
In a table, I have tries to number the cells in column 1, using the Simple Numbering drop-down tool in the Formatting toolbar.
If I select the cells in column 1 and select numbering option A,B,C... as above, this numbers all the cells as A, A, A, A...
Screenshot from 2020-06-11 13-44-17.png
I managed to fix this using a work-around.
What I did was to select ALL the cells, and number them A,B,C,... as above.
I then selected all cells in columns 2 and 3 only, and used the drop-town tool to select 'Skip numbering'.
This gave me cell numbering in column 1 as A, B, C, D...
All now as I wanted.
Screenshot from 2020-06-11 13-46-00.png
BUT
Second problem
When I saved the document, closed the file, and re-opened the document,
all my numbering in the table had disappeared.
Cell numbers A, B, C, D... had been lost.
Screenshot from 2020-06-11 13-47-44.png
I tried repeating this. Same problem.
I have emailed the document.
Email sent Thu, 2020-06-11 at UK time GMT 14:03 +0100
---
John
JohnWasilewski

Re: Auto-numbering fault in a table

Post by JohnWasilewski »

I have tried entering some text in the first column. In each cell in column 1, I entered just a '.' character, as the text, not as part of the number format. On saving, closing and re-opening the file, all of column 1 was again blank. Oh so V E R Y irritating when I'm trying to get some work done here!
---
J.
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi »

I don't have Linux installed, so could only test it with the Mac version: When I select only the cells to be numbered and choose a numbering list instead of simple numbering, it's all right. With simple numbering, it's the first number throughout, just as you reported.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for sharing the document and the screenshots. For numbering in the table please use the Numbered list instead of simple numbering and you will not get this First problem.

Second problem: Number list is already there in your file but the setting in the horizontal position is changed, please correct it to Character None from Character Tab and save your document.
Second Problem.JPG
JohnWasilewski

Post by JohnWasilewski »

Problem 1
Thank you for the numbering solution. Will you ask your developers to fix 'Simple Numbering' to wok properly as well?

Problem 2
Thank you also for the solution to this. Please note, however, that TextMaker's Styles are no working properly yet. i am continually finding I can't rely on Styles to follow my orders and not go off on frolics of their own like this.

Good luck with the ongoing debugging. Hurry please!
---
John
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

There is no problem with 'Simple Numbering' so there can't a fix of that.

For TextMaker's Styles, I think you reported that in other Topic so we can discuss there if we will find any problem related to that.

Thanks
adpd777

Post by adpd777 »

Hello there.

Let me tell you, that I have exactly the same problem, but in my case is without using tables, just regular auto-numbering combined with letters, example:
1. Question 1.
a) Option 1.
b) Option 2.

2. Question 2.
a) Option 1.
b) Option 2.

3. Question 3.
a) Option 1.
b) Option 2.

The example above is what I NEED to achieve, but TextMaker fails with this, because some issues:
  • When I save the document, after using the "skip numbering" option, all the numbering is gone.
  • When I go to the "Option 1, Option 2" part to number it with letters as shown before, and save the document, the numbers of the questions, all restart to 1 or worst, they disappear and I have to begin from scratch again, but the cycle of these issues begins too.
  • The numbering doesn't save the configuration settled, I have to reconfigure the "character" section for each numbered line: font type, font size, font style, etc...
After what I reported before and feeling frustrated and irritated because of this, I have no option to do the numbering manually, because it doesn't work as should be.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

We are unable to reproduce this problem. Please share the sample document in which you are getting this problem. For better understanding, please also share a screen recording (if possible).

Return to “TextMaker 2021 for Linux”