Spreadsheet editing slow

Klaas Vaak

Spreadsheet editing slow

Post by Klaas Vaak »

I have a spreadsheet with about 7500 lines formatted as a table. When I add new data or modify existing data it takes a couple of seconds before the change is rendered.

Is there any way to speed that up?
stascheit

Re: Spreadsheet editing slow

Post by stascheit »

I think, it is not possible to speed up the automatic recalculation.

But you can disable the automatic recalculation, as needed:
Go to the "Calculate" tab in the dialog box of the command File | Properties and disable the "Recalc automatically" option.
As a result, calcalutions will be updated only before saving, printing or copying cells (if you keep these options enabled).

If necessary, you can manually update your workbook at any time by pressing the F9 key.
Or Shift+F9 to update the current worksheet only.
Klaas Vaak

Post by Klaas Vaak »

@stascheit: many thanks for your help.
Klaas Vaak

Post by Klaas Vaak »

@stascheit: automatic recalculation is disabled, but even then, when I enter data in a cell there is a distinct time lag before the cell is filled. Equally, there is that time lag when is just move from 1 cell to the next. It is annoying.

I also find that surprising too considering a spreadsheet has more than 1 million lines that can potentially be filled!
Is there nothing else that can be done?
Klaas Vaak

Post by Klaas Vaak »

Never mind. FWIW for any user who comes across this thread, I have found a workaround.

I transferred the 5000 oldest lines to another worksheet in the same workbook, so the active sheet does not have the time lag anymore. I will keep transferring as and when the active sheet gets too long again.

I have updated the pivot table relating to the active sheet, and have made a new one for the “5000 liner”.
stascheit

Post by stascheit »

@ Klaas
I'm glad you found an alternative way to avoid the problem. I had no further idea about this.

Return to “PlanMaker 2021 for Mac”