Curly Quotes

rmasci@gmail.com

Curly Quotes

Post by rmasci@gmail.com »

I have a document I am importing into TextMaker and it is just a text document. Now I want to change the straight quotes to curly quotes, but I can't find where to make this search and replace. In the help for 'Replace text and punctuation in documents on Mac' it says to:

Apply a text replacement to existing text: To use the text replacement in part of a document, select the text, choose Edit > Substitutions > Show Substitutions, make sure the Text Replacement checkbox is selected, then click Replace in Selection. To use the text replacement in the entire document, click Replace All.

I select the text. There is no Edit > Substitutions

I also tried search and replace, where I search for " and replace with ^q" -- that didn't work.
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Re: Curly Quotes

Post by Jossi »

Where did you get this help text from? Neither in TextMaker Help nor in TextMaker User manual can I find a paragraph 'Replace text and punctuation in documents on Mac' or the help text you quote.

To replace straight quotes by curly ones in imported texts, I copy an opening curly quote and paste it into the replace field in Search and Replace. Then I replace leading blank+straight quote with leading blank+opening curly quote using "Replace all", then copy and paste a closing curly quote and run a second "Replace all" with straight quote -> curly quote.

Return to “TextMaker 2021 for Mac”