Two TM displays, both visible side by side

JohnWasilewski

Two TM displays, both visible side by side

Post by JohnWasilewski »

Can I run two instances of TM simultaneously? I know I can open multiple tabs but that doesn't enable me to see two documents at the same time. II would like to be able to see separate documents together, on two display screens, and to be able, if possible, to drag and drop text between them, or at the very least to Ctrl-C(opy from one and Ctrl-P(aste into the other.

If I could do this it would be a great help, especially when working on long and complex documents, because I could also use it to open, on separate screens, two instances of the same document. I could then find passages more easily that needed to be moved, check for places where I have written more than once in different places about the same issues, or where something I've written later in the document is inconsistent with something written earlier, and generally tidy up efficiently without needing a printout by my side whilst reading through and editing the document on-screen.

There's probably an easy way to run two copies of TM but I can't remember or rediscover how to do it. I'm going to re-install an older version so that I can run the two versions side by side for this purpose, but do I need to do that? Can TM already display two windows at the same time, or be run twice on two screens?
---
John
JohnWasilewski

Re: Two TM displays, both visible side by side

Post by JohnWasilewski »

Suggestion:
Could SoftMaker consider providing a small and compact SM document-reader package?
This could then be used alongside the full-editing version of TM, with minimal additional burden on system resources.
---
John
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

Yes, just drag a document tab outside the TextMaker window.
JohnWasilewski

Post by JohnWasilewski »

Thank you Mig-C. That sounds really useful and brilliantly simple, but it seems to be broken. I didn't know I could drag a document tab outside the TM window, and yes, I've now found I can do so, but it then goes wrong. The document tab opens as a new window, with the document name in the window title bar, but (1) the window is totally black, and (2) TM has then frozen, with nothing possible except to kill the TM task.

My Mac is a MacBook Pro (Intel chip) with very large resources.

Could you look at this?
---
John
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

Instead of dragging you can also go to View | Side by side.
Does TM also freeze this way?
In any case, please go to "? | About | Write System Info" and send us the sminfo.txt it generates.
JohnWasilewski

Post by JohnWasilewski »

Sent.
---
John
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

I reported the issue to the developers. Thanks
JohnWasilewski

Post by JohnWasilewski »

Thanks Miguel-C.

Incidentally, you also wrote earlier,
you can also go to View | Side by side.
But when I pull down the 'View' menu, it does not show a 'Side by side' option, so what did you mean exactly, please?
---
John
miguel-c
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by miguel-c »

JohnWasilewski wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:41 pm Thanks Miguel-C.

Incidentally, you also wrote earlier,
you can also go to View | Side by side.
But when I pull down the 'View' menu, it does not show a 'Side by side' option, so what did you mean exactly, please?
---
John
He you go:
Capture.PNG
Also, nobody at SoftMaker was able to reproduce the black screen, so it's probably a macOS beta issue that will go away in the final version

Return to “TextMaker 2021 for Mac”