When is "redo" supposed to work?

eileen60016

When is "redo" supposed to work?

Post by eileen60016 »

I'm coming from the MS Office environment so am unfamiliar with SoftMaker.

What exactly is redo supposed to work on? I find it doesn't work for anything - adding or deleting rows from tables, typing characters, applying formats, etc.

I just looked in the manual which says "Redoing undone actions: There is also an opposite to the Undo command: the menu command Edit > Redo. It restores the effect of your most recent undo action."

Does this mean that TextMaker doesn't have any convenient way to repeat actions over and over, and that it works just once, and only right after I have "undo" 'd an action?

So when I want to add lines to a table, I can't just add one, then hit Cmd-Y over and over? I have to either use my mouse repeatedly to insert rows individually or do the "Insert Cells..." and fill out the little menu? Both are annoying.

Alternatively, is there a keyboard shortcut for adding rows to a table? I'd be glad to just hit that over and over.

Thanks,
Eileen
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: When is "redo" supposed to work?

Post by SuperTech »

MS-Word actually combines repeat feature to repeat last command and redo which is there to reverse the last undo command into one. But in TextMaker, currently we have only redo functionality and not repeat feature. But I have forwarded this feature request to our developers team.
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi »

eileen60016 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 8:34 pm Alternatively, is there a keyboard shortcut for adding rows to a table? I'd be glad to just hit that over and over.
Hi Eileen,

there is no predefined keyboard shortcut for inserting rows in a table, but TextMaker (like the other SoftMaker Office apps) has a most convenient feature to define your own shortcuts for almost any command there is. Just go to Tools > Customise, search for "Insert row" in the Quick search field, select the "Insert rows" entry, then click "Shortcut keys" and define any shortcut you like.

As SuperTech already wrote, there is no "repeat command" function in TextMaker. You may undo up to 999 actions (the maximum number of undo steps can be customised in Tools > Options, tab "General") and redo all of these, but only step by step in the order you undid them.

Cheers
Jossi
eileen60016

Post by eileen60016 »

All,
I am so sorry for the lateness of my reply. I did not get any notification re: replies. Thank goodness i came back to check!!
Jossi, thank you very much for the shortcut tip. I'll set that up now.
And Supertech, thanks for submitting that request.
Eileen
eileen60016

Post by eileen60016 »

Jossi,
Looks like I have to upgrade to the paid version to create the shortcut. Just wanted to leave this note for any future users that might be interested in this option.
Thanks,
Eileen
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi »

Eileen, as you posted your question in the SoftMaker Officer 2021 forum and not in the FreeOffice forum, I supposed that you are already using the paid version.
Cheers
Jossi
JohnWasilewski

Post by JohnWasilewski »

I too have very often wished 'redo' could also serve as a 'repeat' function.
I note you have now asked your developers to consider implementing this facility, and I do hope they will do so
---
John

Return to “TextMaker 2021 for Mac”