TextMaker 2021 freezes when saving ODT

chazzo

TextMaker 2021 freezes when saving ODT

Post by chazzo »

Does anyone else see freezes when trying to save ODT files from TextMaker 2021?

I have been editing ODT documents that I believe were created in a Linux version of OpenOffice. They use styles and a lot of footnotes, but no images, text boxes or other layout elements. They are roughly 10,000 words long. I use change tracking and comments.

The documents open just fine, and if I save them as tmdx or docx I've seen no problems so far. But when I try to save as ODT, then sooner or later TextMaker will hang and I have to force quit.

I'm using TextMaker 2021 (rev S1030.0201) with macOS 11.2.3 on a 2015 MacBook Pro.

This is disappointing because I sometimes have to work with ODT files and I hate OpenOffice and LibreOffice. I've only just discovered TextMaker, and I love the way it opens whatever I throw at it, seems to to a good job of the conversion, and doesn't nag me to save in some other format. I use MS Word a lot but it won't save tracked changes to ODT.

In principle I'd be happy to help with troubleshooting, but for privacy reasons I can't share the documents that are crashing.

Charles
lgsl

Re: TextMaker 2021 freezes when saving ODT

Post by lgsl »

Textmaker 2021 ODT support is a bit buggy right now.
Some issues with styles has been fix but the patch has not been released yet. This issues you are having may be related.
See https://forum.softmaker.com/viewtopic.php?f=389&t=20664 for more info.
chazzo

Post by chazzo »

Thanks @lgsl, and sorry for not noticing your reply before.

I've managed to reproduce this with a minimal ODT document created within TextMaker and using only the built-in Normal style. I turn on change tracking, make some edits (I'm not sure whether drag-and-drop is required, or if it can be triggered just by inserting and/or deleting), and sooner or later TextMaker will hang when I try to save the document.

I've emailed a bug report and sample document to "forum@". If anyone else would like to have a go, it shouldn't take more than five minutes to reproduce, assuming it's not just me who is affected.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for reporting this problem and for sharing the file. We are unable to reproduce this problem, so we have sent you additional steps on email. Please check and reply on email so that we can continue further investigation on this problem.

Return to “TextMaker 2021 for Mac”