How to clear ALL formatting from selected text

solo

How to clear ALL formatting from selected text

Post by solo »

Hello experts,

How can I clear ALL formatting from selected text? Assigning the normal paragraph or character style doesn't do the trick of clearing ALL styles.

It would be nice to have a button that "clears all formatting".

For example, the "Styles" panel in Word 2011 for Mac has an option "Clear Formatting".

clear-formatting.png
clear-formatting.png (44.27 KiB) Viewed 4365 times

This is really handy in the event I make formatting errors and want to clear every possible bit of formatting. In Word this returns the highlighted text to "normal", which is different than assigning the "normal" style to the selected text.

It would be really nice to have a similar ability in TextMaker 2021.

If it exists could someone point me to it?

If it does not exist, then I'd like to submit this ability as a feature request.
Last edited by solo on Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: How to clear ALL formatting from selected text

Post by SuperTech »

Yes, we have this feature to clear all the character formatting from the text. The Best why is to select the target text and press Ctrl+Space or we have one "Reset character formatting" button also on ribbon Home | Character group, you can click on that also.
solo

Post by solo »

SuperTech wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:39 pm Yes, we have this feature to clear all the character formatting from the text. The Best why is to select the target text and press Ctrl+Space or we have one "Reset character formatting" button also on ribbon Home | Character group, you can click on that also.
Thanks. I find this works to clear Character Styles. It's rather obvious now that you point it out (Doh!).

I should have been a bit more precise and state that I want to also be able to clear Paragraph Styles - which I suppose would return the highlighted text to the "Normal" Paragraph Style. The method you point out does not clear Paragraph Styles.

Is there a similar method to clear Paragraph Styles?

If it does not exist, then I'd like to submit this ability as a feature request.
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

"Clear formatting" in Word doesn't do that either. But you can apply the paragraph style "Normal" again. You could assign a hotkey to that style, so that it becomes a two-key operation: Ctrl+Space, Alt+Something.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
solo

Post by solo »

martin-k wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:45 am "Clear formatting" in Word doesn't do that either. But you can apply the paragraph style "Normal" again. You could assign a hotkey to that style, so that it becomes a two-key operation: Ctrl+Space, Alt+Something.
Thanks for the helpful tip!

I found that Paragraph Style "Normal" can be placed in Quick Access and there's also a default Shortcut Key - both of which are handy.

Only there's no pretty little icon like we see for most other commands, just the command text. Maybe there's a way to put an icon in Quick Access in place of the command?

textmaker.png
textmaker2.png

"Clear formatting" does indeed clear both style and character formatting in MS Word (Word 2011 for Mac anyhow). Although I'm trying to get away from Word, there's a few things it does that I'm rather used to and trying to find equivalent functionality in TextMaker.
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

solo wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:22 am "Clear formatting" does indeed clear both style and character formatting in MS Word (Word 2011 for Mac anyhow).
Ah, re-checked. It depends if only a piece of text is selected or the whole paragraph. A bit non-obvious... ;-)
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
solo

Post by solo »

martin-k wrote: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:20 am Ah, re-checked. It depends if only a piece of text is selected or the whole paragraph. A bit non-obvious... ;-)
I selected the whole paragraph to "clear formatting"

I tried to PM you but couldn't figure out how...

But thanks again for your help as I transition to TextMaker and away from, well... let's not mention from what. :D

Return to “TextMaker 2021 for Mac”