Styles - Draft View and Style Area like Word?

solo

Styles - Draft View and Style Area like Word?

Post by solo »

Hello Experts,

Like many I am trying to move away from "MS Word 2011 for Mac" (I'll leave the reasons aside).

I use Word's Styles rather extensively. Word has a very useful "Draft View" allows one to see the applied styles in the "Style Area".

In the attached image you can see in the "Style Area" (the left column) the Styles applied to the adjacent sections of text.

Does TextMaker 2021 for Mac have a similar functionality? I sure hope so but I can't seem to find it if it exists.

Any tips or pointers would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
Attachments
Word 2011 Draft View and Stye Area.png
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Re: Styles - Draft View and Style Area like Word?

Post by Jossi »

Similar, but not in the way Word does it.
If you keep the right sidebar (showing the style list) open in TextMaker, the paragraph or character style in use at the respective position of the cursor is always automatically selected and indicated by the selection colour.
solo

Post by solo »

Thanks for the reply.

The sidebar does not give an overview of applied styles through the document.

As you point out the sidebar only tells you the style applied at the cursor position (or highlighted text) in the document. This is of extremely limited utility, but does, importantly, allow style application to specific portions of text.

I would like to make a "feature request" for TextMaker to include/mimic the Word's "Draft View & Style Area" feature as described herein and shown in the image attached to the initial post.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

solo wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:49 pm The sidebar does not give an overview of applied styles through the document.
In the bottom of the sidebar please select "Style in use" in Show and you will see only styles which are currently in use in the document.
solo

Post by solo »

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

The recommendation does reduce the number of styles displayed to those "In Use" in the document - but this does not really answer the question (see below quoted reply).
SuperTech wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 6:55 pm
solo wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:49 pm The sidebar does not give an overview of applied styles through the document.
In the bottom of the sidebar please select "Style in use" in Show and you will see only styles which are currently in use in the document.
Perhaps I should have been clearer in describing my question.

From the MS Word "Draft View and Style Area" shown in the image attached to the initial post one can clearly see (in the left-hand column) which styles are applied to the visible portions of the document text - not JUST where the cursor is or where text is highlighted. One does NOT have to put the cursor on a specific portion of text to see what style is applied to that SPECIFIC portion of text.

While I'm no fan of Microsoft, the "Draft View and Style Area" in MS Word is extremely handy for reviewing the application of styles throughout the document without forcing the writer to "click" individual sections/selection of text to see the style highlighted in the "normal" sidebar.

So my question is: Does TextMaker have this feature/ability to display the styles applied to the visible text in a manner similar to MS Word's "Draft View and Style Area"?

If so could some kind soul point me to it because I cannot find it and suspect, from the replies received, such a feature does not (yet) exist.

Any other recommendations?

Does anyone know if this feature has made it to the developers' request list?
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Currently, we don't have this exact same feature, but I have forwarded this feature request to our development team. Thanks for your suggestion.
solo

Post by solo »

SuperTech wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 7:04 pm Currently, we don't have this exact same feature, but I have forwarded this feature request to our development team. Thanks for your suggestion.
Thank you.

As much as I am looking forward to freeing myself from MS Word, I have to admit this "Draft View and Style Area" is a very useful feature.

It would be a benefit to have this in TextMaker, and I hope the developers agree!

Thanks again for passing this on to the development team.

Return to “TextMaker 2021 for Mac”