Outline Mode issues

captainping

Outline Mode issues

Post by captainping »

I'm very grateful that TextMaker has an Outline view mode, since this is a feature that I use all the time on Word (which I'm migrating away from). There are some problems with TextMaker's Outline Mode though:

1) When a document is saved in Outline Mode, it is opened in this mode too. However, the sets of headings which are opened and closed are not remembered. It would be great if it were (as Word does). It is easy to open all headings. It is not easy to manually restore the set of headings that are opened.

2) A click on the icon to the left of each heading should select the entire heading, including sub-headings (and it does). But a click to the left of the icon should select just the heading (as Word does).

3) Vertically dragging the icon to the left of a heading should reposition the heading and its sub-headings up and down in the document. Vertically dragging to the left of the icon should select multiple headings, one line at a time. Right now, in both cases vertically dragging oddly does nothing.

4) Leaping ahead of Word, it would be great to have a command that closes all sibling headings of the selected heading(s). You could call this "Focus" or something like that.

Thanks again!
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Outline Mode issues

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for your suggestion. I have forwarded this feature request to our developer team.
captainping

Post by captainping »

What is the state of these feature requests? I find them quite important to the use of Outline Mode, which I use a lot. In fact, this mode is why I chose TextMaker over other Word substitutes. Please do what you can to push these feature requests forward.

BTW, if your codebase is in C++, Objective-C, or Swift, I could make these changes for you - for free! I'm serious. I'll put my time where my mouth is!

Thanks,
Christopher
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

captainping wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:52 pm What is the state of these feature requests? I find them quite important to the use of Outline Mode, which I use a lot.
I have forwarded your request again to our developer team.
captainping

Post by captainping »

Thanks! If I were to prioritize one of these, it is the ability to move a heading and all its sub-headings by dragging its icon (on the left) vertically. It seems to be fundamental to the operation of an outline tool to be able to quickly re-order headings. I very much miss it! :-)

Christopher
captainping

Post by captainping »

Dear Softmakers,

I've been taking time to write detailed bug reports and feature requests since I started using TextMaker in January. You all have been very polite on this forum, but I haven't seen any progress in addressing any of the issues I've brought up. Even the catastrophic bug that occurs when you put your Mac to sleep and it wakes up with the large monitor not connected has not been fixed. (The TextMaker window displays just crazy stuff, and continues to until you quit the app.)

Please be honest with me: Will you EVER address these Outline View feature requests? I ask because when I went searching for a Word replacement, I knew I would need a good Outline View and TextMaker promised to have such. It's turned out to be such a fuss to use that I'm thinking I will give Libre Office a try.

Thanks,
Christopher Schardt
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for your interest and suggestions. I have forwarded these to our developer team, but our team is already working on fixing bugs and implementing past suggestions.

They will check this also, but it will take some time, so I can't promise exactly when we will be able to implement it. Thanks for your time and patience.

Return to “TextMaker 2021 for Mac”