choice of file format?

MTO

choice of file format?

Post by MTO »

I'm just curious -- what are the advantages of saving files in the tmd or tmdx format, rather than docx, etc.?
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: choice of file format?

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for your inquiry. These are different file formats with minor differences.

tmdx/tmd are TextMaker file formats which include all the features provided by TextMaker where tmd is an older format and tmdx is the latest one. In other file formats like docx, there will be some features missing but tmdx includes everything.

Use other file formats only when you want interoperability with other similar software like if you have to share files with someone using MS-Word you can use docx so that you both can work on same file.
JohnWasilewski

Post by JohnWasilewski »

I am very interested in this. Please could I trouble you to give us 3 or 4 examples of TM features we lose when saving as .docx, or else tell us where to look to read about them?

Knowing this would be very helpful.
---
John
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi »

One thing I remember is that TM allows multiple columns in text boxes, and Word doesn't. So these are not saved in *.doc or *.docx.
jmarc

Post by jmarc »

Is there an update of this for the 2024 versions ?
Do we still have an interest of using tmdx instead of docs ?
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

jmarc wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 11:19 am Is there an update of this for the 2024 versions ?
Do we still have an interest of using tmdx instead of docs ?
There is nothing to update regarding this with any new version.

If you want to use native advanced features than use TMDX file format and if you are looking for compatibility with Word use DOCX file format.

Return to “TextMaker 2021 for Mac”