TextMaker behaves inconsistently on different Macs

solo

TextMaker behaves inconsistently on different Macs

Post by solo »

Hello Experts,

I have noticed that the same version of TextMaker 2021 for the Mac (rev S1030.0201 64bit) behaves differently on different Macs in spite of configuring both installations identically.

In a post on this forum entitled "How to force TextMaker to use U.S. (Imperial) measurements" I noted setting the Measurements Preference to "U.S." WILL NOT be retained between TexMaker sessions the next time TextMaker starts and the value will revert to "Metric". This is on a 2011 27" iMac running High Sierra (10.13.6).

SoftMaker confirmed it can reproduce the problem and has sent this to the development team (Feb 18, 2021).

However, the same version of TextMaker installed on a 2015 13" MacBook Pro running Big Sur 11.2.1 behaves differently and WILL retain the Measurements preference set to "U.S." between sessions. Of course retaining values between sessions as set in Preferences is the desired behaviour.

If this difference in behaviours I have described amounts to a "user error" and I am missing or setting some configuration setting or Preference that accounts for the differing behaviour, perhaps SoftMaker techs can point out what it is or otherwise make recommendations?

In the alternative to the fault being a "user error" and the fault is with TextMaker, could SoftMaker PLEASE fix this?
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Re: TextMaker behaves inconsistently on different Macs

Post by Jossi »

If there is no difference in the versions and configurations of SoftMaker Office there must have been a change on the OS side. Between High Sierra and Big Sur lots of things may have changed unter the hood.
solo

Post by solo »

Thanks for the reply,
Jossi wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:47 am If there is no difference in the versions and configurations of SoftMaker Office there must have been a change on the OS side. Between High Sierra and Big Sur lots of things may have changed unter the hood.
I do agree that changes in operating systems can affect application behaviour, but due to other issues I've come across that are application specific and unrelated to OS versions (some of which I've posted in this forum) I suspect this issue is with the application. But like you, I'm guessing and don't have the tools (resources, specialized skills or source code) with which to investigate.

I look forward to what we might hear from SoftMaker technical staff on this who do have the necessary tools to test to see if they can replicate in order to determine definitively if the issue is due to some change in the underlying OS or due to the application itself.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for reporting this problem. Please check the settings on your operating system level on both the mac as SoftMaker Office follow the operating system's settings.
solo

Post by solo »

SuperTech wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:27 pm Thanks for reporting this problem. Please check the settings on your operating system level on both the mac as SoftMaker Office follow the operating system's settings.
It is NOT a problem with the system settings but rather with TextMaker.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Please open your macOS setting "Language & Region" > Advanced > General tab on both Macs and share the screenshots.

Return to “TextMaker 2021 for Mac”