vlookup data entry box

beethoven

vlookup data entry box

Post by beethoven »

I am using vlookup and miss the data entry box that would guide me through the fields in excel. I can manually type in the formula by opening excel, trying to refresh my memory about the correct syntax and then do this in planmaker. Is there a setting I can enable to get such a box that puts the components of the formula together for me.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: vlookup data entry box

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for your post. Just type =vlookup and you will be able to see the "Formula tooltip".

If that is not working for you, please click on ribbon command File | Options | Tab Edit | Check the option "Formula tooltip" | Press OK.

For more details on vlookup please click on here for user manual.
beethoven

Post by beethoven »

Supertech, thank you - one follow up - is there any reason why vlookup does not show up as my last used function. No matter how often I use it,
under last used I only have Sum and Count (don't know if I ever used count) but vloolup is "hiding" under All Functions at the bottom.
stascheit

Post by stascheit »

beethoven wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:48 am ...is there any reason why vlookup does not show up as my last used function. No matter how often I use it,...
I guess it is because the function was not inserted via the "Function" dialog box, but directly into the cell.
Only functions inserted via the dialog box are displayed in the list of last used functions.
beethoven

Post by beethoven »

stascheit - you are right. I have now managed to get this "saved".
I still do not understand why if I then enter the formula into the Formula box, I need to know all the info by heart. I do know (and can see) which is the Crit and remember n and O but the range is not on the same sheet and the columns vary. In excel I have some input box that allows me to fill in Crit, Range, n and Sorted) one by one. Here if I move to the relevant sheet for the data to enter, I lose the part I entered before. At the moment I need to write the stuff down first and then enter this manually.
stascheit

Post by stascheit »

I hope I have understood the problem correctly. Then the video below illustrating the steps maybe helps.
You can draw a range when you enter the formula directly into the cell as well as when inserting the formula via the dialog box (even if the range is on another sheet).
Attachments
Insert range.gif
beethoven

Post by beethoven »

thank you for your help but I am sorry, I watched this clip dozens of time but cannot replicate it.
I can copy my original formula across from Excel and it works fine: =VLOOKUP(G2,'VL Inventory'!A:T,20,0)

However, when entering it manually using your process I may get the expected #n/a in my sheet but dragging this down to find a result for the correct items keeps everything as #n/a and does not provide for values of those items that should have a value. I also notice that I can only get to the #n/a status if I select the cells precisely . I normally only choose the full columns (with 1600 rows) which is much easier than choosing the cells. Trying to choose the columns makes the Crit fall off and my formula bar only shows the Range.
I also note that you use ; instead of , but assume this makes no difference. Also my Crit does not require " but again I guess, that's ok as the copied formula still works.

So at the moment I can work with the sheet by either fully manually typing this in or copying the formula and manually amending where necessary.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

It's same as other software like MS-Excel with no requirements of manual writing etc. Please follow the same process, and you will get the desired results.

Please check the attached screen recording, I have created for you using your same formula in non-manual method and same sheet name, range etc.

If you are still facing any problem, please share your file for better assistance.

If you have private data in it, you can send it to forum[at]softmaker.com with the link of this post.
Vlookup help video.gif
stascheit

Post by stascheit »

beethoven wrote: Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:37 am I also note that you use ; instead of , but assume this makes no difference. Also my Crit does not require " but again I guess, that's ok as the copied formula still works.
For the ; I have a simple explanation: I am using the German Windows settings. This uses the ; instead of the , for the separators within formulas.
stascheit

Post by stascheit »

For a cell reference as Crit, I had the same experience as shown in Supertech's video above. It works correctly, even with drawing down columns for a range.
But something works indeed not quite correct when inserting a range across columns via the dialog box. (It makes the Crit fall off, see the gif)
Attachments
vlookup - column range.gif
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for sharing screen recording. Our developer team is working on this problem. I will update here whenever I will get any news on this issue.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

beethoven wrote: Wed Jul 13, 2022 5:48 am Supertech, thank you - one follow up - is there any reason why vlookup does not show up as my last used function.
Our developer team have fixed this problem and the solution will be included in the next service pack.

Return to “PlanMaker 2021 for Windows”