Convert text to number

billc

Convert text to number

Post by billc »

I have a xlsx spreadsheet imported from an accounting system that has the values presented as text. I need to convert them to numbers to do math on them but almost nothing works. I did find a way to force a number by editing each cell individually but there are a lot of cells.
Excel gives you a flag next to the cell that tells you that the number is stored as text and gives you an option to convert it to a number. It works with a range of cells. Is there any way to do it conveniently in PlanMaker?
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Convert text to number

Post by SuperTech »

You can simply copy that range which you want to convert to numbers and overwrite them by right click > Paste Special > Select unformatted text in Paste as > Click OK.
mikeism

Post by mikeism »

What if you have a value like this... -$100.00 I can't find a way to convert to number if the value contains a minus sign and dollar sign on the left side.
mikeism

Post by mikeism »

It's hard to avoid importing things like this... -$100 from banks and other organizations. I have not found a way to convert text values like this -$100 to number or currency format when using PlanMaker. Is there a way to do it?
mikeism

Convert text to number when -$ is in the string

Post by mikeism »

It's typical for banks and brokerages to export number as text with a minus sign and dollar sign to the left. Like this... -$100 Cut and paste back as unformatted text doesn't help with this nor do the other suggested conversion hacks. The VALUE function doesn't work either Is there an easy way to convert strings like this (-$100) to number? Is any fix for this planned?
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Please share your file in which you are getting this problem.

If your file is private, please send it to forum[at]softmaker.com with the link of this post.
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

SuperTech wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:49 pm You can simply copy that range which you want to convert to numbers and overwrite them by right click > Paste Special > Select unformatted text in Paste as > Click OK.
This doesn't work.

Return to “PlanMaker 2021 for Windows”