Strange grey bar on line graph

AndyL

Strange grey bar on line graph

Post by AndyL »

When I open a CSV file, and select a single column of data then plot that as a line graph I get a grey bar along the X axis. Photo enclosed.

What is this, and how do I get rid of it? Clicking on the data brings the datapoints to the front, but the grey bar obscures the axis.
PlanmakerGreyBar.png
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Strange grey bar on line graph

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for reporting this problem. Please share the associated file with chart in which you are getting this problem so that we can do further investigation for resolution.

If you want to send it to us privately, please e-mail us at the forum[at]softmaker.de

Please also include the forum URL of this topic so that we can trace your e-mail.
viewtopic.php?f=383&t=20556&p=68160#p68160
AndyL

Post by AndyL »

Attached is a test CSV file. Just open it, select everything in the first column and insert a simple line graph.
Attachments
PlanmakerTest.csv
(137.41 KiB) Downloaded 180 times
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Please share the file which contains this problematic chart.
AndyL

Post by AndyL »

I just did. Open the CSV file that was with my previous post. Select the first column. Insert a basic line graph. Look at the X axis.
You will see the grey area. I have tried this on lot's of CSV files and the effect is the same. The file I attached is nothing special.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

You just have to save that problematic file(in different file format) and upload it here so that we can test it.
AndyL

Post by AndyL »

Here it is again.
Attachments
GreyBar.pmdx
(105.83 KiB) Downloaded 169 times
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for sharing the file. I have checked it and found it is an axis line. To remove it double-click on X-axis numbers > In format tab under Line select None > Click OK and this line will disappear. Please refer to attached screen recording for better understanding.
Remove Axis line.gif
AndyL

Post by AndyL »

Thanks, that works.

It seems to be caused by the number of ticks on the X axis. If you only have a few points on the X axis, you can see all the ticks. As you get more and more points, the ticks all merge into one. There should be a way to reduce the number of ticks as the points increase, or a manual facility to be able to have something like "tick every" so you can still have some ticks, but not a tick every point.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

By tick, you mean data points on a graph? We don't have this option and to do this I think it should be dealt on table level before the creation of the graph. Because if we will not show all the given data points on the graph, there will be discrepancies.
AndyL

Post by AndyL »

No, I mean on the "Format Chart:Category Axis" dialog box, on the "Format" tab in the "Major ticks" section. Choose None, and they disappear.

So if the number of Major ticks were configurable, you could choose how many to show. You could divide the number of ticks by a configurable number, and show only those. This would give you a "ticks per". I suppose that this could be calculated automatically somehow.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for your suggestion. I have forwarded this request to our product management...

Return to “PlanMaker 2021 for Windows”