Formulas in a table are lost when the file is saved

brus@juno.com

Formulas in a table are lost when the file is saved

Post by brus@juno.com »

When I create a table and add formulas, all seems okay. The calculations work fine. However, when I save the file apparently some of the formulas are lost. That is, after opening the saved file most of the formulas in the table are missing.

The few formulas that are not lost are generally those in the bottom rows. I have to manually reenter the lost formulas which is tedious.

Is this a flaw in the product? Am I doing something wrong? Or is it something else?

Thanks in advance for any answer.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Formulas in a table are lost when the file is saved

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for posting your problem. Are you facing this problem with all the files, or with one file only?

Please share the file in which you are facing this problem with the steps involved so that we can reproduce the problem at our end.

If your file is private, please send it to forum[at]softmaker.com with the link of this post.
brus@juno.com

Post by brus@juno.com »

Attached is a sample file.

The main table in it had a calculation for every entry in column G. The formula (except for row 10) for them was of the form: #D35*TABLE2.#A2+#E35*TABLE2.#B2+#F35*TABLE2.#C2 (In this example the row is 35, in the table the actual row number was used.)

After saving the file, many of the formulae were lost upon reloading. The calculated value rather than the formula appears in the reloaded cells.

I am using Windows 10. This problem has occurred in several files. The problem may be with the form of the example formula only, but I'm not sure.
Thanks for any help on this.
Attachments
February - Expenses SAMPLE.doc
(28.5 KiB) Downloaded 140 times
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi »

Probably the old Microsoft *.doc format cannot handle TextMaker's table formulae. When you save your document as *.tmd or *.tmdx, this shouldn’t happen.
brus@juno.com

Post by brus@juno.com »

Thanks for your answer. I tested saving the document as *.tmd and *.tmdx. These worked correctly.

However, I also tried saving it in several newer Microsoft formats such as *.docx. The formulae also did not work when saved in these Microsoft formats. This raises the question of how compatible TextMaker is with Microsoft. TextMaker marketing implies it's fully compatible with Microsoft Word.

Is this something newer editions of Textmaker could fix?
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi »

Probably not, as this is a deficiency in Word, not in TextMaker. TextMaker has some additional features Word has not, so they are not preserved when documents are saved in Microsoft formats. The only possible alternative would be to remove these features in TextMaker as well, but that would serve nobody.
Another example is: TextMaker can set text in text frames in more than one column, Word cannot.

Return to “TextMaker 2021 for Windows”