Two Problems with the otherwise Excellent TextMaker

ThoughtMaker

Two Problems with the otherwise Excellent TextMaker

Post by ThoughtMaker »

1. The English dictionary. Some quite simple words, for example COMPLICIT are reported as spelling errors!

2. Capitalisation. If you convert some text to capital letters, when you copy and paste it elsewhere, you find they are still in lower case!

Another wordprocessor I sometimes use, uses a version of the Oxford dictionary, so it is really good and when you capitalise text it really is converted to upper case not just for the printer.

If those points were sorted, Textmaker would be a great wordprocessor.
Devonboy78

Re: Two Problems with the otherwise Excellent TextMaker

Post by Devonboy78 »

1) re spelling eg complicit, you can simply right click on the word shown as incorrectly spelt and click on the option Spelling:Add word
2) I cannot replicate copied Capitalized words becoming lower case.
I have tried selecting words change to capitals using the function Change Capitalisation, and also typing word in capitals. In both cases, copying the word/s then pasting does not change capitalisation for me
ThoughtMaker

Post by ThoughtMaker »

Thanks for taking the time to reply. The route I was taking to capitalise text was character, styles, all caps. I have found that you can permanently capitalise text the way you suggest.

The more important point, though, is that the English dictionary is not really up to the job. If it were there would be no need to add words. For me the main reason I’d use a word processor as opposed to just dashing off some text on a text editor is to find, as far as possible, the exact word I am looking for. I wonder that Softmaker couldn’t come to some arrangement with Oxford, Collins or Chambers . . . to create a more comprehensive dictionary/thesaurus?
raitis.veksejs
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by raitis.veksejs »

We are working on a much more comprehensive English dictionary.
ThoughtMaker

Post by ThoughtMaker »

EXCELLENT NEWS!
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

Devonboy78 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:07 am 2) I cannot replicate copied Capitalized words becoming lower case.
I have tried selecting words change to capitals using the function Change Capitalisation, and also typing word in capitals.
Do you know how to access this function when using the classic menu?
Jossi
SoftMaker Volunteers
SoftMaker Volunteers

Post by Jossi »

Woody44 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:42 pm Do you know how to access this function when using the classic menu?
Select the text you want to capitalize, then go to Format > Character... (or click the "Change character formatting" icon in the icon bar) and check "All caps". Capitalization remains after copy and paste.
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

Jossi wrote: Mon Apr 24, 2023 11:22 am
Woody44 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:42 pm Do you know how to access this function when using the classic menu?
Select the text you want to capitalize, then go to Format > Character... (or click the "Change character formatting" icon in the icon bar) and check "All caps". Capitalization remains after copy and paste.
I thought that's what the OP said didn't work.
hanks for taking the time to reply. The route I was taking to capitalise text was character, styles, all caps.
What TextMaker really needs is a "Change case" menu option, as in (dare I say it?) Word.
martin-k
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by martin-k »

Format / Character applies formatting so that the text appears in uppercase.

For physically changing the casing, there is Shift+F3 which cycles through several types of capitalization.
Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH
Devonboy78

Post by Devonboy78 »

Woody44 wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 10:42 pm
Devonboy78 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:07 am 2) I cannot replicate copied Capitalized words becoming lower case.
I have tried selecting words change to capitals using the function Change Capitalisation, and also typing word in capitals.
Do you know how to access this function when using the classic menu?
You can customize your toolbar (Tools - Customize and select the Formatting toolbar]. I added the command Change Caps between Font size and Bold.
When you select text, you can then go to the new icon [to the right of font size in my suggestion] and you will have the options of ALL UPPERCASE, all lowercase or First letter only capitalized
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

martin-k: Thanks. I tried using Shift-F3. It works, but it doesn't cycle through "several" types of capitalization, it cycles through three -- all lower case, all caps, and first letter capitalized. And you have to re-press the keys to cycle through the options rather than simply popping up a menu as in Word. And Word offers five options, not three. There's no way I'll ever remember that I need to press Shift+F3 to accomplish this. It should be something easily accessed thriough the menu system (both menu systems).

Devonboy: I think it's a good feature to be able to add custom icons and/or keys to do unusual things. However, we are in the midst of testing a beta edition of an office suite that competes against the 800 pound gorilla in the room, Microsoft Office, by advertising "seamless" document compatibility (which isn't the case), and implying that people familiar with Word can transition to TextMaker without incurring a learning curve. Custom icons and custom keystrokes should be used for unusual tasks that are unique to the individual user; they should NOT have to be used to create a work-around to accomplish something that is easily and quickly accomplished by Word.

I respectfully submit that when things in TextMaker don't work pretty much the same as they do in Word; when users have to search around to find how to perform simple, everyday tasks; and when users need to create custom keystrokes or custom menu icons to accomplish tasks that have been built into Word for decades -- that's not a good thing. It's the inability to accomplish simple, routine tasks easily that leads to poor reviews, and poor reviews lead to poor sales. Something as rudimentary as "Change Case" IMHO needs to be made to work more as it does in Word. With SoftMaker Office 2024 in beta testing, now would be the time to fix this oversight.

Return to “TextMaker 2021 for Windows”