I can't see the images of a document

Barth

I can't see the images of a document

Post by Barth »

Hello
I have created a document, with text and images, I have saved it and then when I open the document the images do not appear, only the text.

In addition, said text, instead of being Verdana type, which is the type of font I chose for this document, now when it is opened it is a Courier type font. Also, when I want to save this document (save as), it always says "save as txt" first, but it's not a text document, it's a tdmx document.

In addition, in TextMaker, when I click open, and the windows window open, I have the preview activated, and in the preview you can see the images that were in the document, but when you open it, the images disappear.

About a month ago, some *.tdmx documents when saving put me as the first option "save as txt", and the default letter is Courier. I have never set Courier as the default font.

All this happens since I opened a .txt file with TextMaker, since then things like this are happening.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: I can't see the images of a document

Post by SuperTech »

When you "save as txt", this is a plain-text format without any formatting and without images or tables. You receive a warning when you do that.

When you reopen such as document, TextMaker applies the style "Plain text" to it, which is usually set to Courier New.

In plain words: Don't save as "txt" unless you want a document without any formatting.
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

You should also go into your settings and verify what the default file "save as" format is set for. It should be set for the SoftMaker default format, but you might have changed it inadvertently.

You can also set the default file save format for Microsoft's .docx format, which is useful if you frequently exchange files with people using Microssoft Office.
Barth

Post by Barth »

Thank you, but the problem is that after saving a document as txt once, appears the problem that I pointed out with tmdx files.
So what should I do so that TextMaker doesn't apply "plain text" to everything? I just want it to work like before I have saved a file as txt.
Devonboy78

Post by Devonboy78 »

As Supertech replied [4th April], you cannot save a document with text and images as a txt file and then expect Textmaker to open that txt file and show images.
You must save it as tmdx (Textmakers default) or docx [Microsoft default] if you want to be able to re-open it with images visible.
If you do go to save a document as txt, Textmaker issues a warning that formatting and objects may be lost. If you do save it as txt file, then when you re-open that txt file 1) all text will be in Courier, 2) all text formatting has been lost and 3) no images have been saved.
The txt format for files is very basic and if you want to retain text formatting and/or images you must save files as tdmx or docx files. obviously these will be much larger files than a simple txt file
Barth

Post by Barth »

Woody44 wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:01 am You should also go into your settings and verify what the default file "save as" format is set for. It should be set for the SoftMaker default format, but you might have changed it inadvertently.

You can also set the default file save format for Microsoft's .docx format, which is useful if you frequently exchange files with people using Microssoft Office.
Thanks, that's a good point :thumbsup: , I already looked at the configuration and by default the files are saved in tdmx
Barth

Post by Barth »

Devonboy78 wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:23 am As Supertech replied [4th April], you cannot save a document with text and images as a txt file and then expect Textmaker to open that txt file and show images.
Thank you but I must have explained myself wrong, I saved a text file only once, the rest has been as always, saving in tmdx, which is my usual format.
The problem is that tmdx files behave like txt, that's what I don't understand.

I don't pretend the txt files show images, the problem is not with txt files, I just want the tmdx files to behave like tdmx, not like txt
raitis.veksejs
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Post by raitis.veksejs »

To understand your problem it would be useful to include a description of what you do step-by-step and attach a sample file. The screen recording would even better help understand what happens. (You can use, for example, ScreenToGif for that purpose).

Normally images and formatting after saving the document remain intact. If you experience some problems with your document due to some technical problems on your computer you can restore your document from folder C:\Users\<UserProfile>\Documents\SoftMaker\Backup

Return to “TextMaker 2021 for Windows”