Universal typos checker

Adeckwatt

Universal typos checker

Post by Adeckwatt »

Hi there again)

I see that lots of people seek functionality of Grammarly and alike addons. That`s really tough, but hard to realize I suppose. My suggestion is to incorporate into TextMaker not a grammar checker referred to numerous languages one by one, but a typos checker.

What do I mean by typos checker? There are multiple mistakes in texts which are not grammar mistakes like violation of grammar rules of this or that language, but simple typos unseen by writers. Below are typos I stumble upon every day:

1. Absence of uppercase letters after ./?/! (especially in texts not typed, but copypasted)

2. Non-existent combinations of punctuation marks going together like .,/,.

3. Two or more whitespaces between words (Backspace pressed twice like "TextMaker rules")

4. Absence of whitespace where needed like before or after parenthesis ()

5. Misuse of - and – and absence of whitespaces after – like "The rule is simple– just do what is said"

6. Two punctuation marks instead of three: .. instead of ..., ?? instead of ???, !! instead of !!!

7. Two identical words going one by one like "He he is fine"

8. Single letters left in the text

9. Etc.

All of these mistakes are not associated with a specific language but are widely spread, so it would be awesome to provide the users with a TextMaker built-in tool to pinpoint such erroneous cases. At least this can be done quite easily from a programming point of view (I guess so) and be the first step towards making really great things like Grammarly intergration and stuff like that.

One more important thing is the ability to switch on and off the highlighting of a single mistake rule. For instance, normally an uppercase letter shouldn`t go after colon, but in conversations that can be found (Speaker: Hey!), so there should always be a possibility to switch off a single rule and let others do their job.

Thanks for reading.
SuperTech
SoftMaker Team
SoftMaker Team

Re: Universal typos checker

Post by SuperTech »

Thanks for your suggestion. I have forwarded this improvement suggestion to our product management.
bnleez

Post by bnleez »

I too would love a Grammarly addon for TextMaker. SuperTech, any progress on this front?
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

Oh, dear.

I tried the Gammarly add-on for Microsoft Word, and I couldn't uninstall it fast enough. It was VERY intrusive, and much more of an annoyance than a help. I also can't use the grammar checker that's built into Word -- when I use Word at work, I have the grammar checker turned off because it insists on "correcting" grammar that is already correct.

I suppose TextMaker should have a grammar checker function available, but PLEASE be sure that it can be disabled so that it won't get in the way of writing.

For what it's worth, I thing LanguageTool is much better than Grammarly, but I don't know if it could be integrated with Textmaker.

https://languagetool.org/

It can be integrated with Word, so it's possible that it could also be integrated with TextMaker.

Return to “TextMaker 2021 for Windows”