Calibri not working properly

romraptor

Calibri not working properly

Post by romraptor »

In Microsoft Office Calibri is the default font, meaning a significant part of all Word documents use that font.

In most other major Office suites (like LibreOffice and OnlyOffice) documents with Calibri look exactly the same as in Microsoft Office.

In Softmaker Office the width of the letters seem different. I've attached an example file that shows this in the simplest way possible. All other Office suites display one line of underscores whereas Softmaker Office continues on a second line.

I know I mentioned this a few years ago, but I think this is important enough to bring up again. I don't know if you realize the sheer number of documents this affects. Other commonly used fonts like Times New Roman don't seem to have this problem.
Attachments
Calibri underscore.docx
(21.46 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
Woody44

Re: Calibri not working properly

Post by Woody44 »

On my computer and my display, when the document opens in Word there is only one line. When I open it in TextMaker, there is one underscore character on a second line.

This has been commented on previously. Different program seem to handle font metrics differently. SoftMaker claims "flawless" compatibility with Microsoft Word but, as long as the font metrics are different, it isn't flawless compatibility. I have encountered this issue when dealing with long documents -- I'm a self-published author, and I format my books for print in the word processor. It's very annoying when the same file looks different depending on whether it's opened in Word, LibreOffice Writer, or TextMaker.
romraptor

Post by romraptor »

Thanks for confirming! I think the biggest problem is that Calibri is one of the most (if not the most) used fonts so it's virtually impossible to not encounter this issue. Also, as previously stated, this only occurs in Softmaker Office.
Woody44

Post by Woody44 »

romraptor wrote: Sun May 22, 2022 7:14 pm Thanks for confirming! I think the biggest problem is that Calibri is one of the most (if not the most) used fonts so it's virtually impossible to not encounter this issue. Also, as previously stated, this only occurs in Softmaker Office.
No, if you work with other documents and other fonts, you'll find that LibreOffice Writer is even worse than TextMaker.

It's a problem. Supposedly Windows with Truetype and Opentype fonts was supposed to take care of this issue but ... it doesn't work. And it's a HUGE problem for anyone using either SoftMaker Office or LibreOffice who has to collaborate with people who use Word.
romraptor

Post by romraptor »

The reason I started using Softmaker Office many years ago was because it had better Microsoft compatibility than LibreOffice. When I tried the documents that give me trouble recently LibreOffice performed much better than Softmaker Office though.
seasidepb

Post by seasidepb »

It's a tricky subject, and it's not just an issue with Calibri, and I've found it's influenced by screen resolution. As others have said if it's any comfort in this respect Textmaker is a lot better than LibreOffice Writer, despite all the strides the latter has made in compatibility. There's no doubt that Word's font rendering is superior (I also like the way the cursor moves as you type - there's something just a bit more refined about it). But in most respects I think Textmaker is infinitely preferable to Word. I have found that if you work with your document slightly zoomed - for me it's 102% - the font rendering in Textmaker improves a lot.
romraptor

Post by romraptor »

The fonts may look nicer depending on how much you zoom, but the aforementioned issue is the same.

I'm sure there may be issues with other fonts as well, but the one with Calibri has a very large impact since it's the standard font in Word.

Times New Roman (another very widely used font) works completely fine in comparison.

Return to “TextMaker 2021 for Windows”